Head of Sales
The Head of Sales will be responsible for building profitable relationships with cost-per-click advertisers in the UK and international markets, and for developing revenues by setting and beating extremely ambitious targets.
Reporting to co-founder Doug Monro, the role involves leading all new business and account management activities, dealing personally with large clients as well as developing a small sales and country management team and setting up processes and tools to scale revenues. The Head of Sales will be a key senior member of the growing Adzuna team and represent the voice of the customer in strategy, product and marketing conversations. They will help grow Adzuna from millions in annual revenue today to tens and potentially hundreds of millions in the next few years.
We offer a fun, entrepreneurial working environment (total team about 15 people) within an exciting high-growth business where you can make a huge difference, with a market competitive package including a significant slug of stock options.
Adzuna is a search engine for classified ads used by over 2 million visitors per month which makes it easier to find the right job for you. We search thousands of websites so you don’t have to and bring together millions of ads so you can find them all in one place. We add powerful search, insightful market data and social connections, so you can find your perfect job with a little help from your friends.
Adzuna’s data also powers the Number 10 Dashboard, used by the Prime Minister and senior officials to keep track of economic growth on a daily basis.
Adzuna was founded by Andrew Hunter and Doug Monro, formerly of eBay, Gumtree, Qype and Zoopla and is backed by leading Venture Capital firms Passion Capital, The Accelerator Group and Index Ventures. Adzuna was originally launched in the UK in 2011 and now operates in 6 countries from our offices in Clapham, south west London.
Because of the nature of its business model in selling cost per click advertising to top job portals, Adzuna has a relatively small pool of prospective customers (between 10 and 100) in each market, of whom over time we expect a high percentage to become customers.
The sales challenge is therefore about building strong long-term relationships, typically with a CEO, marketing director or marketing manager, who will be familiar with the product and currently advertising on Adwords or other vertical search engines. It is a results-driven purchase, where the customer can measure the ROI from their spending, and where regular contact, review and optimisation of client data and campaigns is crucial to improving results and share of wallet over time.
The ideal candidate will have 5+ years of sales and account development experience in online cost-per-click advertising or a similar arena, and a good understanding of the online jobs/classifieds market. They will have experience in handling major accounts, leading teams, selling to multiple countries and in phone as well as face-to-face sales. They have a good understanding of internet business models and the ability to think strategically and contribute to development of the business.
They can lead by example and are happy getting their hands dirty, selling to clients themselves as well as managing others. They are organised, efficient, detail-oriented, data-driven, commercially savvy, persuasive, ambitious, energetic and smart. They are happy working in a small, entrepreneurial team without a PA, a company car or an expense account, don’t have a political or territorial bone in their body, and will simply do their best to make the business succeed.
• Lead by example: own the relationship with the company’s top customers/prospects and deliver revenue growth from them
• Deliver aggressive sales targets across multiple geographies, and adjust approach to suit the needs of different markets
• Lead the creation and enhancement of best in class sales processes and tools for lead generation, pipeline management, sales presentations, demos etc
• Lead the training and development of a small, high calibre sales and country manager team and help add key players to the team over time
• Trade marketing, attending industry conferences as relevant
• Provide a seamless, outstanding customer experience to all our clients
• Grow share of wallet with customers over time, both budgets and pricing
• Develop customer reporting, contribute to development of new features and tools, data analysis and campaign optimisation approaches
• Continuously evaluate best practise from elsewhere and develop our approach to be recognised as a market leader not just in our sector but across the web
• Ensure customer onboarding, support, billing and payment processes are efficient, automated and best in class
• Develop monthly revenue forecasts and plans to hit them
• Set pricing guidelines per market and work with marketing to ensure we deliver customer campaigns and hit target profitability
• Work with founders to develop new products or revenue streams when relevant, while keeping scalability and user experience front and centre
• Support development of syndication partnerships
No contact from recruiters please. We do not use recruitment agencies except in exceptional circumstances where we have existing relationships, nor accept unsolicited contact from them. Any unsolicited contacts will be reported as spam.