AgDevCo is seeking an experienced Financial Analyst to join our rapidly growing team. The position is based in Accra or Tamale in Ghana for two years with the possibility of relocation thereafter.
- To create sustainable and commercially viable farming and agribusiness enterprises operating in profitable value chains#
- To support large numbers of small-scale farmers by increasing productivity and incomes
- Development of “greenfield” opportunities as principal. AgDevCo acts as project sponsor, risking its own capital and taking full responsibility for the project development process. This includes: consultations with local communities to ensure equitable access to land, technical studies (soil, hydrology and irrigation), crop trials and pilots, the raising of additional public and private finance and the construction and implementation of the farming operations.
- Investing in existing start-ups and early stage agricultural businesses. AgDevCo invests in promising agricultural businesses that do not have access to alternative sources of debt or equity finance, due to various market failures.
The Ghana Financial Analyst will play a pivotal role within AgDevCo’s Ghana team, working closely with the Country Director, Country Manager and AgDevCo’s senior advisors and experts to develop and manage the portfolio of projects in Ghana. The Financial Analyst will help identify, analyse and structure prospective investments and play a supporting role in projects where AgDevCo is the principal sponsor. Additionally, the Financial Analyst will be responsible for key relationships in the country, particularly with project sponsors and entrepreneurs on specific projects.
- Work with the Country Director and Country Manager to identify promising projects and businesses in the agricultural value chain
- Manage the investment due-diligence process for specific investments, including assessment of past performance, analysis of opportunities, forecasting of financial performance and assessment of management capacity and capabilities
- Work with in-house and external legal and other advisors to structure investments in accordance with local and international requirements
- Prepare and present investment materials for consideration by AgDevCo’s Senior Management Team and Board of Directors, as well as third party investors and partners
- Manage relationships with contracted third-party providers, engaged by AgDevCo to complete specific project tasks, including establishing deliverables, reporting mechanisms and timelines, and managing progress against deliverables
- Provide technical assistance to investees post-financing to ensure that investments achieve their financial and developmental targets
- Manage targets associated with specific investments including monitoring and evaluation for the purpose of performance management and reporting to senior AgDevCo management and donors
The Financial Analyst will report to the Ghana Country Manager on day-to-day matters and will use reasonable efforts to ensure that other members of the Ghana team are kept informed of business activities through regular meetings, conference calls, email reports and status memoranda.
Candidates should have exceptional finance, analytical and management skills and be passionate about working with local farmers and entrepreneurs. Strong candidates will have a blend of private and public sector/ non-profit experience, be self-motivated and skilled in diagnosing and resolving complex organisational and financial problems. They will have very strong organisational skills and an ability to manage and deliver projects independently as well as manage other members of the Ghana team. They will also have the entrepreneurial drive to take an idea and turn it into a high-quality finished product.
In further detail, the successful candidate will have:
- 3-5 years’ experience in project development, management consulting, finance, business development/strategy or related areas. In addition, professionals with a background in the following areas are strongly encouraged to apply:
- -> Project development/ private equity/venture capital
- -> Agribusiness (including farm-based business)
- -> Knowledge and experience of dealing with social venture capital and development finance institutions and other donor organisations
- Exceptional financial and business analysis skills as demonstrated by prior experience
- Experience of operating in emerging markets, preferably in sub-Saharan Africa
- Experience in building, managing and motivating teams
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; ability to present arguments and analysis in a structured and succinct manner
- Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to manage relationships with investees as well as external partners, advisors and senior stakeholders. Effective teamwork and communication will be critical to success because the team is located across Africa and Europe
- Commitment to accuracy and attention to detail