Volunteer Position Specification:
AZLera is looking for an enthusiastic volunteer to design and lead two modules (beginners and advanced) on core skills associated with IT/Programming with a specific focus on Java and HTML5 (although other languages are also welcome). We believe that an improved understanding and application around these areas, when put alongside our already established curriculum, will position our students well for the demands of further education and accessing the job market. During the internship the volunteer will create a course manual so that the knowledge taught can be transmitted to others in the future. The volunteer will also be asked to support the ‘In-Country Project Manager’ with the day to day running of the project.
· Relevant IT/Programming background and ability to work with talented and motivated secondary school students to help improve their knowledge and skills in this area.
· Experience teaching or tutoring secondary school students is preferred.
· Portuguese is required and competency in other languages is encouraged.
· Candidates should be willing to work in a socially challenging environment, be able to build strong relationships with students and other professionals and have an entrepreneurial spirit.
· All applicants must be responsible, enthusiastic and comfortable working and interacting with people of all ages, particularly young adults.
Outline of Organisation:Projecto Oceano is an education project situated on Ilha de Moçambique, in South East Africa, developed by AZLera, a US/UK registered non-profit organisation founded in 2002. The project’s aim is to work with the most talented and enthusiastic young students on the island and help prepare them for the demands of further education and the competitive job market. We provide a space outside of school, where students can debate local and international issues, develop key IT, language, leadership and logical thinking skills, whilst also enjoy extra-curricular opportunities such as sports, art and music that the project provides. By focusing on critical thinking and stimulating the intellectual capacity of our students we aim to create future leaders who will be better placed to take their community and their country forward and ultimately to help reduce poverty in Mozambique
Duration: 12 weeks
Start Date: From early May 2013 onwards
Deadline: 29 March 2013