AZLera is a unique education model, driven by the principals of social entrepreneurship, identifying future leaders and creating an environment that motivates and inspires them to learn more, do mo...
Ilha de Mocambique, Mozambique
1 Oct 2013
Opportunity has expired
In-Country Project Manager - Mozambique
Ambitious project manager needed to lead education and social entrepreneurship programme on island in northern Mozambique
Ilha de Mocambique, Mozambique
Applicants are required to hold the relevant Visas/Work Permits
To view this opportunity please sign back in or join
(it takes 10 seconds and might change your life!)
New to Escape?
Sign up for free
Already a member?
Projecto Oceano is an education and youth leadership project situated on Ilha de Moçambique, in southern Africa, developed by AZLera, a US/UK registered non-profit organisation founded in 2002. The project’s aim is to work with the most talented and enthusiastic young students on the island and help prepare them for the demands of further education and purposeful employment through the availability of a range of educational and extra-curricular activities.
Projecto Oceano maintains that, by empowering and stimulating the intellectual capacity of ambitious, talented students, we can create a pool of future leaders that will be better placed to take their community and their country forward, become better prepared for the competitive job market and help to reduce poverty in Mozambique.
- We PROVIDE selected students on the island with a variety of after-school learning activities including: community social debates, current affairs classes, languages classes, IT, capoeira, monthly publication of community newspaper (Voz Jovem), art and community projects
- We ACT as a centre of debate and congregation for children and young adults on the island where they are exposed to knowledge and activities unavailable elsewhere in the region
- We EMPOWER the most talented and motivated students to improve their own conditions and prospects, as well as those of their community, and support them to either pursue further education beyond the island or become the teachers of the next generation of Projecto Oceano students
- Project Management
- Daily management and organisation of the Project both in the classroom and the community
- Supervision and coaching of a core group of young people with individual responsibilities, as well as overseeing the recruitment of new members
- Oversight of all member contracts and close management of the project budget
- Monthly report writing, updates and event evaluations as well as recommendations to be submitted to the AZLera management team
- Generating and implementing new ideas, classes and activities appropriate to the Project and the island
- Coordination of the AZLera scholarship application and selection process
- Responsible for all ‘in-country’ official functions, including working with the local institutions on the island and representing the project for prospective visitors, donors or guests
- Liaising with and developing partnerships with other organisations and educational establishments to create opportunities for our young people, and support them beyond their involvement in the project
2. Coordination of Project Activities
Oversee the successful fulfilment of all Projecto Oceano initiatives, including:
- Languages: English, Portuguese, French and Spanish
- Mathematics: Maths and Logical Thinking
- Information Technology: Windows, Microsoft Office and LOGO
- Social Debates: Community-led Social Debates on the most pressing issues facing Mozambique, Africa and the wider world
- Critical Thinking and Innovation: Classes to encourage students to analyse problems, to challenge the ‘status quo’ and to develop coherent solutions to prevalent local, national and global issues
- Community Newspaper: Monthly publication of Voz Jovem (available for download from www.azlera.org), a community newspaper written and managed by our leading students
- CV and employment workshops: Courses focused on progressing from secondary school education to tertiary education or employment
- Study Groups: Space provided throughout the year for students to study outside of school hours. Study Group allows access to supervised use of our libraries and I.T. systems
- Academic Skills: Core skills to prepare the students for the demands of further education, including essay writing and revision techniques
- Extra-curricular Activities: Positive recreational activities, including art classes, sport tournaments, & traditional dancing exhibitions (Capoeira)
- Community Events: Project participation in all community events and festivals
- Project Administration Tasks: managing the budget, monthly expense control and other miscellaneous tasks
- Candidates should be willing to work independently in a socially challenging environment, be able to build strong relationships with students and other professionals and have an entrepreneurial spirit.
- All applicants must be responsible, enthusiastic and comfortable working and interacting with people of all ages, particularly young adults.
- Volunteers are encouraged to seek practical solutions to resolve community conflicts, and are given the freedom to use their own qualities and their interests to the benefit of the students, the project and the community, in order to have a lasting impact on the island.
- Experience working with young people and project management experience essential.
- Experience working in developing countries and with deprived communities desirable.
Duration – Minimum 9 months, ideally 1 year
Start Date – From mid to late November 2013
Language required – Strong Portuguese and English (competency in other languages desirable)
- Projecto Oceano WILL cover all local fixed-cost project expenses including volunteer accommodation and living costs, as negotiated with AZLera
- Projecto Oceano WILL NOT cover travel costs to and from the island, insurance, visas, and all expenditure unrelated to the project.
How to Apply If you are interested in this position or would like further information please contact Freddie Brunt (email@example.com) to receive the full application document and FAQs.
Ask a question about this opportunity
Your question has been submitted successfully!
You will receive a notification when the question has been answered.