Balloon Kenya is an award winning social enterprise that brings together young people from different parts of the world and supports them to work together and co-design sustainable new businesses t...
20 Jan 2014
Opportunity has expired
Enterprise Programme Manager
Mini-sabatical for awesome entrepreneurial types to lead an international development project of 20 people.
Applicants are required to hold the relevant Visas/Work Permits
To view this opportunity please sign back in or join
(it takes 10 seconds and might change your life!)
New to Escape?
Sign up for free
Already a member?
“For us this is mature global development” Lord Michael Hastings, KPMG
Balloon Kenya is an award winning social enterprise working to defeat poverty through entrepreneurship. We team up passionate young people from around the world with ambitious Kenyan entrepreneurs to build businesses that create jobs, tackle local problems and improve lives. We then invest in the best entrepreneurs helping their businesses to grow.
In 2014 we will be taking 100 International Fellows to work with 500+ Kenyan entrepreneurs.
We are seeking exceptional individuals to manage these Summer programmes.
This is a unique opportunity for anyone wanting to develop outstanding business and consultancy skills, learn about social investment and microfinance, get real experience doing international development and rapidly improve their people and management skills in a challenging environment. And most importantly, there will be lots of fun!
Programme 1 June 21st – August 3rd 2014
Programme 2 August 9th – September 21st 2014
Provisional Training Weekends in London – May 10/11th, May 24/25th 2014
(Applicants available for both programmes are preferred)
- Training: In Week 1 of the programme you will deliver an entrepreneurship training programme to the international volunteers.
- Matching Volunteers and Entrepreneurs: At the end of week 1 you will team up the international volunteers with groups of local entrepreneurs. This will require you to work closely with a local co-operative that manages the recruitment of Kenyan entrepreneurs
- Monitoring & Advice: As the training progresses you will need to monitor the activities of the volunteers and hold regular performance evaluation meetings. meet with them on a weekly basis to ensure they are delivering high quality work. You might also need to assist them with lesson planning and provide advice when they encounter difficulties in the businesses they are working with.
- Marketing/Communications: Create and capture content to help tell the story of the programme including images and video footage.
- Investment Evaluation: On the final weekend you work with the investment committee to decide which entrepreneurs receive funding.
- Building Networks: Identify potential areas and partners for future programmes and engage the local business community to build a network of local mentors and supporters.
- Recommendations: At the end of your time we will ask for detailed feedback and recommendations to improve future Balloon programmes.
- Background in finance, consulting, international development, education, business/social enterprise (2+ years preferable)
- Excellent people and communication skills and a positive outlook
- Highly organised
- High degree of self-motivation and problem solving abilities
- Adaptibility and flexibility in new cultures and challenging environments
- High degree of self-motivation and an ability to motivate others
- Minimum 2-month commitment (4-month commitment preferable)
- Overseas experience (preferable)
- Experience leading and motivating groups – either voluntary or professional (preferable)
We will cover all costs directly related to the programme. This includes your return flights to Kenya (flying from the UK), medical insurance, visa, daily programme expenses (including accommodation, food, transport). In Kenya we will also pay a £50/week stipend to cover any additional living costs.
Ask a question about this opportunity
Your question has been submitted successfully!
You will receive a notification when the question has been answered.
Applying via "Express your Interest"
The new, simpler, more efficient way to kick off the application process!
1. Complete your Escape Profile
You need a complete
to express your interest.
2. Express your interest
Once you are happy with
your Escape Profile
express your interest.
3. Get an outcome
Get a response within 30 days.
If succesful the employer will
send you the next steps.