Big Beyond is an independent volunteer organisation passionate about empowering remote African communities to lead their own sustainable development, reducing human pressure on fragile conservation areas that support the planet’s last remaining wildlife, and facilitating incredible experiences for international volunteers who can join our team through personalised and meaningful programmes designed around individual skills or interests.
Bwindi Impenetrable National Park, Uganda
6 May 2013
Opportunity has expired
Bigger Picture Project Manager Uganda
A unique opportunity for two bright, self-motivated and enterprising individuals to join a relatively new and dynamic UK company facilitating skills-based volunteer placements in Africa.
Bwindi Impenetrable National Park, Uganda
Applicants are required to hold the relevant Visas/Work Permits
To view this opportunity please sign back in or join
(it takes 10 seconds and might change your life!)
New to Escape?
Sign up for free
Already a member?
Big Beyond are looking to fill two adventurous and rewarding positions for their volunteer site in Uganda - Bigger Picture Project Manager and Volunteer Experience Manager. Both offer the chance to relocate to a rural community on the edge of beautiful Bwindi Impenetrable National Park in southwest Uganda. Our volunteers support the Big Beyond Foundation to execute long-term conservation and development objectives.
Bigger Picture Project Manager
You will be leading and coordinating a team of approximately six local people to facilitate well-managed and bespoke international volunteer placements with maximum local benefit, and helping to facilitate top-notch volunteer experiences all-round. Your key responsibility is to keep an eye on the bigger picture of all projects aimed at integrating the conservation of Bwindi with the sustainable development of the local communities and ensure an effective allocation of our volunteer skills and time.
You will work hand-in-hand with remote, rural communities, align with government departments and manage international short-term volunteers to achieve sustainable development and conservation goals of the local area.
You will experience challenging and frustrating days, it's Africa and it's an ambitious task, but you love the challenge and in reality most days you'll dive into bed utterly blown away by all the incredible people you've met and worked with that day, the smiles on peoples faces as the projects take shape and the new ideas buzzing around your head as you figure out even more steps to take towards the bigger picture goals.
You will be responsible for directing a wide range of international volunteers to work within local projects to achieve overall long-term objectives and also oversee the volunteer experience in general. Duties are diverse to ensure a consistent delivery of high-quality skills-based volunteer placements and the management of development/conservation initiatives directly.
You will be in charge of building excellent relations with the local community, relevant government departments and individual volunteers to build local capacity across enterprise, education, conservation, health and culture related projects. You will need to enjoy maintaining a good team spirit and building strong ethics amongst Big Beyond representatives. The role requires confidence in networking, the knack to lead regular group meetings and the ability to radiate positive energy! You need to be a natural leader and enjoy working with different personalities.
We operate beyond financial handouts to build local capabilities through human resources so you must be a resourceful and strategic type of person. You will pay a key role in helping to educate this rural community about the long term benefits of skills and knowledge over short terms financial aid - so at times you need to be thick-skinned, always stay focussed and genuinely believe in the Big Beyond philosophy.
- Manage and empower the local Big Beyond team to consistently deliver well-organised skills-based volunteer experiences and produce maximum local benefit
- Project manage our involvement in local conservation and development initiatives and ensure volunteers are working in line with Big Beyond goals and philosophy
- Ensure the continuity of projects and handover between volunteers
- Chair occasional community-project meetings
- Coordinate community-based organisation and national park management partners through regular meetings and strategic allocation of volunteer tasks
- Collect and analyse stakeholder feedback from the communications team to inform project developments and address any issues that may arise
- Educate the local community about opportunities beyond handouts
- Maintain an accessible internal central information system across all projects containing any data and project progress notes
- Conduct arrival and exit interviews with volunteers
- Creatively design skills-based volunteer placements to match individual volunteer skills and interests with the needs of the local projects
- Help run the orientation programme for new volunteers and educate about the goals of the project
- Lead weekly team brainstorms and updates with volunteers and Big Beyond project coordinators
- Identify, initiate and coordinate new opportunities in the community that help us progress towards our bigger picture goal of integrating conservation and development
- Build a positive reputation for Big Beyond in-country and globally through supporting the marketing department
- Manage budgets, provide reports to HQ and various other administrative duties
- Contribute to the overall strategy for Big Beyond as it grows
- Oversee volunteer accommodation and hospitality management
Essential skills and characteristics:
- Work experience in development isn’t essential, although experience of Africa is beneficial
- A strategic mind is important, excellent leadership skills and drive to achieve positive changes
- Work experience across a range of industries will be considered because we look at transferrable skills
- Self-motivated, flexible, independent, adaptable and adventurous
- You definitely love socialising with different types of people
- An excellent communicator and a natural leader
- The ability to respect and work with different cultures
- Good organisational and management skills
- Positive and ambitious
- Reliable and hard-working
- Thick-skinned! (this is remote undeveloped Africa an you’re working on a new concept beyond handouts)
- Aspirational with ambition to grow with the company
Term: 12 month initial contract in Uganda
Remuneration: This is essentially an unpaid volunteer position but food and lodging is provided, and you will receive a small local spending allowance each month. International flights must be organised independently and paid for by the successful applicant. Airport transfers and in-country transport is included and you will be met at the airport by one of the Big Beyond team and taken to the volunteer site.
End of contract bonus: On completion of the 12 month contract a performance-linked bonus will be paid and a salaried position for extended contracts considered.
Start date: End of June or early July 2013
Working days: Monday to Friday (ish)
Accommodation: On-site at one of the volunteer houses
Webare munoga 'thanks' and look forward to hearing from you.
Big Beyond Direcor, Amy will be in the London between 13th - 14th and 17th - 18th June to interview applicants so if you're successful you'll need to be available between these dates. To apply please first send your CV and covering letter to email@example.com.
Ask a question about this opportunity
Your question has been submitted successfully!
You will receive a notification when the question has been answered.
Applying via "Express your Interest"
The new, simpler, more efficient way to kick off the application process!
1. Complete your Escape Profile
You need a complete
to express your interest.
2. Express your interest
Once you are happy with
your Escape Profile
express your interest.
3. Get an outcome
Get a response within 30 days.
If succesful the employer will
send you the next steps.