Big Beyond is an independent volunteer organisation passionate about empowering remote African communities to lead their own sustainable development, reducing human pressure on fragile conservation areas that support the planet’s last remaining wildlife, and facilitating incredible experiences for international volunteers who can join our team through personalised and meaningful programmes designed around individual skills or interests.
25 Apr 2014
Opportunity has expired
Bigger Picture Project Manager Uganda
We’re looking for a new captain of our ship here in Uganda!
Applicants are required to hold the relevant Visas/Work Permits
To view this opportunity please sign back in or join
(it takes 10 seconds and might change your life!)
New to Escape?
Sign up for free
Already a member?
This is a unique opportunity for a bright, self- motivated and enterprising individual to join a dynamic organisation facilitating customised volunteer programmes in Africa and supporting the execution of long-term conservation and development objectives. The Bigger Picture Manager heads up everything we do in Uganda and drives its growth - with the help of an awesome team.
This adventurous and rewarding position is located in a remote rural community on the edge of Bwindi Impenetrable National Park in southwest Uganda - that’s where the Mountain Gorillas live. You need to be ready and willing to work productively and calmly against occasional power-limitations and internet challenges (!), and enjoy immersing in a very different culture.We only want to hear from passionate fun people with a genuine drive to strengthen our operations and sustainable impact for both our volunteers and the local community. We’re looking for someone who’s great with people from all walks from life, loves seeing the bigger picture and is up for running a tight ship on a long voyage.
Overall goals of position
- Manage and empower the local Big Beyond team of approx. 13 to consistently deliver well-organised bespoke volunteer experiences and produce maximum local benefit.
- Project manage our involvement in local conservation and development initiatives and ensure volunteers are working in line with Big Beyond goals and philosophy.
- Help creatively design skills-based volunteer programmes to match individual volunteer skills and interests with the needs of the local projects.
- Develop and enrich projects and volunteer opportunities.
- Help grow the contribution our Uganda site adds to the overall business.
- Steer relevant volunteer recruitment, support the marketing department in achieving this and manage our social media presence for Uganda.
- Identify opportunities to fundraise for the Big Beyond Foundation either locally or internationally.
Volunteers and Team Management
- Manage and empower the local Big Beyond team to consistently deliver well-organised skills-based volunteer experiences and produce maximum local benefit
- Manage team contracts, calculate pay and track leave days
- Manage any Disciplinary issue based on our Code of Conduct and the Employment Law
- Ensure you have the right number of people to run your projects and operations being mindful of peak months
- Identify opportunities to develop our people
- Make the decision on how to implement improvements based on volunteer feedback to drive continuous improvement
- Responsible for managing emergency situation and major volunteer issues
- Ensure the Volunteer Experience Manager (VEM) is managing and exceeding volunteer expectations
- Project manage our involvement in local conservation and development initiatives and ensure volunteers are working in line with Big Beyond goals and philosophy
- Ensure the continuity of projects and handover between volunteers, including any documentation
- Design the weekly schedule of volunteer activities with your team
- Creatively design skills-based volunteer placements to match individual volunteer skills and interests with the needs of the local projects
- Run the orientation programme for new volunteers and educate about the goals of the project
- Conduct arrival and exit interviews with volunteers
- Lead weekly team brainstorms and updates with volunteers and Big Beyond project coordinators
- Identify, initiate and coordinate new opportunities in the community that help us progress towards our bigger picture goals and ensure a sustainable approach
- Develop projects and enrich volunteer opportunities
- Coordinate project partners through regular meetings and educate about utilising volunteer time and their expectations
- Chair occasional community-project meetings
- Ensure good communication within the community about opportunities through Big Beyond and closely liaise with your Project Manager (PM) to implement this
- Manage major issues with project partners or community members with the PM
- Collect and analyse all feedback from the team to inform project developments and address any issues that may arise
- Maintain an accessible internal central information system across all projects containing any data and project progress notes
- Build a positive reputation for Big Beyond in-country and globally through supporting the marketing department and advising on skills / projects in demand
- Contribute to the overall strategy for Big Beyond as it grows
Operations and Finance
- Manage budgets and provide monthly reports to HQ
- Manage and nurture relationships with landlords
- Ensure your assets are managed and looked after e.g vehicles and laptops
- Ensure Big Beyond is functioning legally and in-line with labour departments‘ requirements
- Monthly updates with Operations Director in the form of a structured report and SKYPE/phone discussions
- Grow revenues through merchandise sales
- Manage and oversee petty cash detail and completion of ‘Expense Tracker’ for the finance department
- Manage all cash on site as well as payments to others and monies owed to the company
- Manage and work with external book keeper who is responsible for bank accounts, book-keeping and returns all financial records, staff wages and certain bill payments
- Oversee volunteer accommodation and hospitality management
Essential skills and characteristics
- A minimum of 5 years working within a team environment, preferably as a manager or a leader
- Work experience in development isn’t essential, although experience of Africa is beneficial
- A strategic mind is important, excellent leadership skills and drive to achieve positive changes
- Self-motivated, flexible, independent, adaptable and adventurous
- An excellent communicator and a natural leader
- The ability to respect and work with different cultures
- Good organisational and management skills
- Entrepreneurial flair
- Positive, ambitious and passionate
- Reliable and hard-working
- Thick-skinned! (this is remote undeveloped Africa and you’re working on a relatively new concept beyond financial handouts)
- Aspirational with ambition to grow with the company
Please send your CV and covering letter to Amy firstname.lastname@example.org - we look forward to hearing from you soon!
Ask a question about this opportunity
Your question has been submitted successfully!
You will receive a notification when the question has been answered.
Applying via "Express your Interest"
The new, simpler, more efficient way to kick off the application process!
1. Complete your Escape Profile
You need a complete
to express your interest.
2. Express your interest
Once you are happy with
your Escape Profile
express your interest.
3. Get an outcome
Get a response within 30 days.
If succesful the employer will
send you the next steps.