Big Society Capital
Big Society Capital
Big Society Capital is developing a strong, diverse and sustainable social investment market in the UK.
London, United Kingdom
26 Oct 2012
Opportunity has expired
Social Impact Associate
Evidencing social outcomes is a notoriously challenging topic!
London, United Kingdom
Applicants are required to hold the relevant Visas/Work Permits
To view this opportunity please sign back in or join
(it takes 10 seconds and might change your life!)
New to Escape?
Sign up for free
Already a member?
Overall Purpose of the Role:
To work in the social impact team and alongside the investment team to provide research and social impact analysis for the investments in the Big Society Capital portfolio. The individual will be part of all stages of the investment cycle – from screening of investment opportunities, their evaluation through to their social impact performance monitoring and management.
- Analyse and evaluate of investment opportunities and proposals, considering the potential social impact, eligibility and social impact risks.
- Conduct social due diligence process for potential investment opportunities and proposals.
- Work with the investment team to embed social impact assessment and recommendations into the investment memorandum, Investment Committee approvals process and transaction documentation.
- Work with potential investees to ensure they understand the social measurement and reporting obligations required and to agree target impact outcomes, indicators and methods to measure impact performance
- Monitor and evaluate social impact of investments on an on-going basis and have responsibility for monitoring the social performance of specific investments in the Big Society Capital portfolio.
- Analyse and report on existing investees’ adherence to agreed social covenants and social impact performance on on-going performance
- Help identify social investment opportunities.
About the Role
Evidencing social outcomes is a notoriously challenging topic. However, in the transition to a social economy, as the commissioning landscape shifts towards payment by results and as the need for social investment grows, the social performance of front-line organisations is increasingly key to investment and funding decisions. As more focus is placed on assessing what difference their money is making to beneficiaries’ lives, social outcomes measurement and reporting is growing increasingly critical.
Big Society Capital is particularly interested in the evidencing of social value performance for two key reasons. To begin with, since as a social investor we invest for both social and financial return, it is essential that we both track and measure the difference our money is making to people’s lives. Secondly, one of BSC’s goals in building the social investment market is to mainstream the measurement of impact. And yet, as the market is as yet both nascent and fragile, we want to be careful in acknowledging what we don’t know and cannot measure, instead of prematurely focusing on quantification or benchmarks at this stage. We need to assess the difference our money makes; but we’re also trying to build a new market; and so we’re taking a bottom-up, open source approach as we want these resources to be built both by and for the sector.
Moreover, BSC wants to help make impact measurement a core part of the strategy development for front-line organisations. If you exist to make a difference to people’s lives, you need to assess this in order to know what difference you’re making; what progress you’ve made against your mission and how you can continually evolve to improve your activities to ensure maximum impact. Impact assessment isn’t just a reporting tool; it’s a strategy one as well.
Ask a question about this opportunity
Your question has been submitted successfully!
You will receive a notification when the question has been answered.
Applying via "Express your Interest"
The new, simpler, more efficient way to kick off the application process!
1. Complete your Escape Profile
You need a complete
to express your interest.
2. Express your interest
Once you are happy with
your Escape Profile
express your interest.
3. Get an outcome
Get a response within 30 days.
If succesful the employer will
send you the next steps.