Big Society Capital
Big Society Capital
Big Society Capital is developing a strong, diverse and sustainable social investment market in the UK.
London, United Kingdom
8 Jan 2014
Opportunity has expired
Help us to have a transformative impact on the social investment market in the UK.
London, United Kingdom
Applicants are required to hold the relevant Visas/Work Permits
To view this opportunity please sign back in or join
(it takes 10 seconds and might change your life!)
New to Escape?
Sign up for free
Already a member?
A vibrant, diverse, well capitalised and sustainable social investment market in the UK, through which social sector organisations can access appropriate and affordable finance and support to grow their positive impact on society.
Build the social investment market by working closely with sector experts and intermediaries to identify socially impactful and financially viable investment opportunities and raise awareness of those within the broader market. The Investment Director will do this primarily by taking responsibility for deal execution, from origination and due diligence through to legal documentation and closing, as well as portfolio monitoring and management. Given the early stage of many investment proposals, the Investment Director will often be required to take a more collaborative approach to building proposals as well as assessing them.
Ultimately, BSC is a lean, nimble organisation, and you are encouraged to build a role for yourself. The social investment marketplace itself is poised for growth, and at BSC you will have the opportunity to influence the development of it.
About the Role:
- Identify and develop new investment opportunities. Work with prospective intermediaries. Establish that the applicant has a good understanding of the responsibilities they are taking on and that they believe that the investment BSC may be making is appropriate for them
- Lead investments, including analysis of eligible investment proposals, undertaking detailed due diligence, applying rigorous analytical techniques, and stress testing business plans to assess investment opportunities, from both a social impact and financial return standpoint;
- Prepare Investment Committee memos that include recommendations for BSC’s Investment Committee;
- Negotiate legal documentation and close transactions;
- Work closely with social investors to help them evidence their social impact – including impact performance monitoring plans and incorporating BSC’s Outcomes Matrix
- Monitor, evaluate and manage the financial and social impact performance of investments on an on-going basis;
- Support BSC’s social investment market champion role by raising awareness of social investment to external stakeholders; including presenting at conferences, speaking to investors etc.;
- Build expertise on social issue(s) and/or design and scale specific social investment products, e.g. retail charity bonds, SIBs, and crowd funding
- Train and mentor Investment Associates, may be called upon to provide training sessions
- Experience of detailed analysis and decision making
- 5+ years background in business analysis (such as private equity, venture capital, investment banking, or investment management)
- Deal execution skills including comfort with negotiating legal documentation
- Social investment background
- Social sector employment or voluntary experience
- 5+ years investment experience
- Proven project management skills
- Computer literacy especially Excel
- Bachelor’s degree
- Self-starter able to build relationships to source investment ideas to address social issues
- Ability to process and break-down investment proposals; analysing social impact, risk and return to make a decision on whether an investment is suitable for BSC’s objectives
- Ability to work closely with investees’ teams and develop relationships to enable successful monitoring of investments made
- Ability to work closely as part of a team with exceptional influencing and interpersonal skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Keen to learn and be involved in building the social investment market
- Structured thinker able to deal with complexity and uncertainty
- Innovative and creative
Ask a question about this opportunity
Your question has been submitted successfully!
You will receive a notification when the question has been answered.