Bridge International Academies
Bridge International Academies
Bridge International Academies is a chain of primary schools providing high quality education to families living on less than $2 per day.
20 Dec 2013
Opportunity has expired
Marketing Director, Kenya
We're transforming education by attacking one of the emerging world’s biggest problems: inadequate access to and quality of education for the children of families living on less than $2/day.
Applicants are required to hold the relevant Visas/Work Permits
To view this opportunity please sign back in or join
(it takes 10 seconds and might change your life!)
New to Escape?
Sign up for free
Already a member?
Bridge International Academies is transforming education by attacking one of the emerging world’s biggest problems: inadequate access to and quality of education for the children of families living on less than $2/day.Lead one of the fastest growing education companies in the world.
About Bridge International Academies
As of January 2013, Bridge is operating more than 130 academies in Kenya with 50,000 pupils. Bridge is one of the fastest growing education companies in the world with plans to open 100 new academies in Kenya alone in 2013; and aggressive global expansion planned for 2013 and beyond.
- Bridge utilizes a research-proven, scripted-learning education methodology coupled with big data (all teachers have tablets for instruction, assessment, and data-gathering) to profitably deliver high quality education at less than $6 per child per month.
- Bridge is a for-profit company that deeply believes that financially sustainable solutions are the long-term answer to development in emerging countries. The Company is backed by top-tier, global venture capital firms including New Enterprise Associates (the largest VC firm in the world), Omidyar Network, Khosla Ventures, and Learn Capital.
- Bridge International Academies offers a tremendous opportunity to grow with one of the world’s most exciting, ambitious, and socially conscious companies, with leadership roles available across a number of competencies and geographies. We look forward to getting to know you!
Bridge International Academies is looking for a marketer with 6-12 years experience who believes in systems-based solutions and is capable of both creating and implementing them. This type of thinking is imperative in order to meet the company’s goals of scale and standardization.
The person in this role will act as a master conductor, project managing a team whose work spans research, communications/PR (both traditional and new media), marketing, advertising, event planning, customer care, and creative direction for both the acquisition and retention of families to Bridge International Academies. While you don’t need to have extensive experience in all of these fields, you need to feel comfortable enough with all of them in order to be able to provide guidance and feedback to the members of your team that focus on those activities.
It’s imperative that you are an analytical person who will be able to create a dashboard the overall footprint of the marketing department, their timely implementation of all of its pieces, budgeting their cost, and analyzing which initiatives should be cut, improved, or added based on their return on investment.
Also, it’s vital that you are incredibly hands-on. Nearly no projects are outsourced to specialized companies (e.g. PR film, event planning film, ad agency etc). Everything is done in house. You need to feel equally comfortable doing qualitative research in low-resource communities as you do crafting materials that will wow members of the national press and government. You will very rarely find yourself sitting in a boardroom.
Your marketing target will focus on families living on less than $2 a day per person, but occasionally work to academy staff from their same communities, HQ staff, members of the press, various government officials, and the Kenyan public at large will also be needed. We are a data-driven company, but our work lives and dies by the qualitative beliefs of our constituents. You need to feel equally comfortable, if not psyched, to work across all of these dichotomies.
You will report to the Country Director and maintain close contact with the global Marketing and Brand Strategy team including the VP, Marketing and Brand Strategy, Global Communications Director, and Global Creative Director.
Qualifications and Educational Requirements
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills – you need to be able to communicate in a clear, empathetic, and effective way with colleagues and constituents.
- Managerial prowess – whether it be members of your department, other departments in HQ, academy staff, or other third party contributors, you need to be able manage all organizational resources in order to accomplish all tasks.
- Strategic thinking – you must be able to deduce and plan ideas based on insights uncovered in data, research, or pilot testing and then map out all of the necessary steps to solve the task at hand in the most efficient way possible.
- Detailed execution – Regardless of how many different, highly-detailed projects are going on at once, you need to make sure that your team completes everything on time with all T’s crossed and I’s dotted.
- Creative problem solving – you need to be flexible and willing to work with the materials at hand, even if they appear unrelated to the project you’re working on, as will often be the case in the communities we work in.
- Proven developing world experience – it is imperative that the person in this role is comfortable with, if not highly-experienced in, interacting with families who live on $2 a day per person or less. We’re not looking for someone who pities people living in poverty, but is inspired by their stories and is excited about what their children can achieve.
- Attitude – we’re looking for someone who is passionate about Bridge’s mission, curious about people, and willing to learn, including being willing to try something new, fail, and see it as a positive learning experience
Preferred Experience and Skills
- Multi-lingual speakers preferred.
- Brand planning experience preferred.
- Some design and/or Adobe skills a plus
Ask a question about this opportunity
Your question has been submitted successfully!
You will receive a notification when the question has been answered.