Camara is a dynamic charity that uses technology to improve education in Africa. Started four years ago, Camara is now at the forefront of delivering Technology-enhanced Learning (TeL) to some of t...
Africa/Carribean, United Kingdom
3 Sep 2012
Opportunity has expired
Camara HUB CEO
Exciting Opportunity to run your own Hub in Africa or Jamaica!
Africa/Carribean, United Kingdom
Applicants are required to hold the relevant Visas/Work Permits
To view this opportunity please sign back in or join
(it takes 10 seconds and might change your life!)
New to Escape?
Sign up for free
Already a member?
Position Title: Camara Hub CEO (multiple positions)
Reporting to: Board of the hub
Location: Africa and Carribean
Date: June 2012
Contract: Two years
Camara is an International organisation dedicated to using technology to improve education and provide livelihood skills in disadvantaged communities around the world.
Founded seven years ago in Ireland the organisation has built a proven model of 'education delivery' that is both sustainable and highly scalable. Camara has provided eLearning Centres to 1,650 schools in Africa, Ireland and the Caribbean - installed nearly 30,000 computers and trained over 5,000 teachers how to use the technology for learning purposes. Some 340,000 children in poor communities have been made digitally literate by us over this period
Camara adopts a social enterprise model that sells a wide range of products and services (reused computers, educational software, training programs, technical support) to our Educational Hubs at heavily subsidised prices. The Hubs then sell the Camara package into the schools and provide aftermarket support.
Basic objective of the Role: The Hub CEO will provide leadership and direction, and coordinate all activities of the local Hub to achieve its targets set by the Board, and in accordance with the Hub Agreement with Camara Education.
- Develop a strategic plan in coordination with staff and directors.
- Develop a business plan for each unit within the Hub (Technology, Marketing, Training, Monitoring & Evaluation, Finance etc..).
- Ensure that all financial and non financial reporting requirements are met on a timely and regular basis.
- Ensure compliance with all local legislation and regulatory bodies.
- Build and maintain a high performance culture through effective performance management, communication and coaching of staff.
- Provide clear leadership and promote and foster a team culture consistent with the organisation’s values.
- Ensure the recruitment of appropriately skilled staff and volunteers to positions, and establish appropriate remuneration levels and performance based conditions for staff within the framework agreed to by the Board.
- Identify and train a suitable long-term hub CEO.
- Develop the network of Camara Schools.
- Develop an agreement with the Ministry of Education.
- Promote the Camara brand locally.
Qualifications and Experience Required:
- 5+ years business (including management) experience (essential)
- Experience working Internationally (essential)
- Entrepreneurial track record (essential)
- Fluent in English
- A Business degree (preferable)
- Demonstrates passion and enthusiasm for Camara’s vision, and motivates, leads, and empowers others to achieve organizational goals.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with key stakeholders.
- Ability to analyse complex policy issues, draw conclusions and articulate clear and focused solutions.
- Ability to formulate strategies and policies, and create new approaches in adverse situations.
- Demonstrates an in-depth knowledge of, and experience in, running a social enterprise.
- Has a personal commitment to organisational excellence; displays honesty, integrity, and a strong sense of ethics in all decision and actions.
- Is resilient; remains calm and deliberate under conditions of stress.
- Has the ability to organise time to the best advantage of Camara.
- Experience in working with boards of directors providing professional, accurate and strategic advice.
- Ability in implementing and delivering on boards of directors’ decisions and policies.
Ask a question about this opportunity
Your question has been submitted successfully!
You will receive a notification when the question has been answered.