Camara is a dynamic charity that uses technology to improve education in Africa. Started four years ago, Camara is now at the forefront of delivering Technology-enhanced Learning (TeL) to some of the poorest people in the world. It does this by installing computer labs in schools and colleges in Sub-Saharan Africa and by training the teachers how to use these computers as educational tools.
Africa, South Africa
11 Jul 2013
Opportunity has expired
Head of Service - Africa
We're looking to recruit an experienced senior manager with Africa experience to manage our team who are based there!
Africa, South Africa
Applicants are required to hold the relevant Visas/Work Permits
To view this opportunity please sign back in or join
(it takes 10 seconds and might change your life!)
New to Escape?
Sign up for free
Already a member?
Camara currently has two refurbishment centres in Dublin, Ireland and San Jose, US and supports schools through our hubs in nine countries in Africa, Jamaica and Ireland.
The hubs are independent entities that sign agreements with Camara to operate in that territory. Each of these schools purchase the Camara package for a nominal fee; the Camara product (refurbished PC loaded with educational content) and Camara services (teacher training, support and end-of-life disposal of the product).
The role of the Head of Service is to lead a team of professionals that support and govern each of the seven African hubs. Some of these are dedicated capacity builders working with the hubs and some are seconded into key roles in the hubs.
In addition the Head of Service initially chairs the boards of each of the hubs. Key to the role is building and managing the boards, reaching agreements with the Ministry of Educations and building the hubs to the point where they are self-sustaining properly governed entities.
Responsibilities (other tasks maybe added):
- Recruit, manage and motivate a team of staff and volunteers for our Africa team to delivery high quality services to the hubs
- Chair each of the hub boards including building the boards with both Camara and local representation
With the board, govern and support the hubs such that they have:
- Strategic and annual plans
- Policies, processes and systems
- Branding, sales and marketing plans
- Budgets, financial and operational reporting
- Sufficiently skilled and experienced teams
- MOU with Ministry of Education and other strategic partnerships
- Report on progress of the hubs by providing board report input, monitoring and evaluation reporting plus operational and financial reporting
- Support the fundraising effort within Camara by pursuing Africa based opportunities, delivering previously won opportunities (such as our Irish Aid programme) and providing feedback on success stories and sponsored eLearning Centres
Qualifications and Experience Required:
- Masters level degree in Management, Leadership or Business
- Native English speaker or ILTS Level 9 English (Full operational command of the language: appropriate, accurate and fluent, with complete understanding)
- Excellent stakeholder management skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with the ability to communicate effectively using a variety of mediums to a wide range of audiences
- Strong self motivation and ability to motivate others
- Ten years plus business experience with a minimum of five in a leadership position
- Three years plus Eastern Africa based experience
- Experience chairing and building boards
- Experience leading a team in multiple locations
- Experience growing organisations from start-up levels to established entities
NB Please get your applications in early as we will hire as soon we find the right candidate! We look forward to hearing from you.
Ask a question about this opportunity
Your question has been submitted successfully!
You will receive a notification when the question has been answered.
Applying via "Express your Interest"
The new, simpler, more efficient way to kick off the application process!
1. Complete your Escape Profile
You need a complete
to express your interest.
2. Express your interest
Once you are happy with
your Escape Profile
express your interest.
3. Get an outcome
Get a response within 30 days.
If succesful the employer will
send you the next steps.