Challenges Worldwide is a pioneering not-for-profit organisation that facilitates impact investment, business support and advice for SMEs in low and middle-income countries.
We are currently looking for a volunteer experienced in working with agricultural businesses to join our six-week project in Ethiopia.
6 weeks, from the end of February
Led by a prominent development agency, this project involves undertaking an investigation of early stage agricultural businesses in the country.
This investigation, on behalf of our field partner, will be a key piece of work in helping them determine the best solutions for agricultural development in Ethiopia.
The role will involve analysing businesses within Ethiopia’s agricultural sector. The successful applicant will conduct capacity assessments in order to gain a better understanding of businesses and how they engage with markets and market actors across various chains.
Work will also be done to identify markets that have the greatest potential to include marginalised rural producers and to grow successfully. He/she will also be responsible for identifying gaps and capacity-building needs in entrepreneurship skills for marginalised men and women.
• Sound understanding of agri-business development.
• Experience of identifying best practice in market development work focused on rural economic models.
• Ability to critically evaluate the partners’ organisational and project management.
• Strong analytical skills.
• Ability to communicate well in English with speakers of other languages and openness to other cultures
• Experience of working in the developing world is preferred but not essential.
Although unpaid, all expenses will be covered by Challenges and our partner organisation. Challenges Worldwide provides return flights, insurance, inoculations, in-country accommodation and transport. You will also receive a daily stipend for meals and subsistence.