6-12 weeks, from April
Our partner organisation is a Malawi-based centre which supports the control of livestock diseases. The centre’s work concentrates on producing vaccines, conducting research and providing training.
The organisation requires support from an accountancy mentor to improve their accounting systems. The role will involve:
- Reviewing the organisation’s current accounting and reporting systems, both paper and electronic
- Providing training to the Accounts Administrator in the use of Quickbooks Premier 2012. This will include ensuring opening balances for the financial year are correct and the non-current asset list is up to date)
- Working with a designated storesperson to set up a system for managing bin cards and stocks in/stocks out. The storesperson will likely need procurement and administrative training that links with accounting procedures
- Designing, implementing and training staff in the use of financial systems and the preparation of a useable set of management accounts that can be used internally for tracking projects/ decision making and for reporting on a monthly basis
- Supporting senior management to understand the processing of and correct responses to this information.
- Sound understanding of accounting and finance procedures gained from several years of work experience
- Experience of providing training to others
- The patience and tolerance to work in a low-resource environment
- Previous experience of working in the developing world would be seen as a bonus, but is by no means essential.
Although unpaid, all expenses will be covered by us and our partner organisation. We provide return flights, insurance, inoculations, in-country accommodation and transport. You will also receive a daily stipend for meals and subsistence.