Challenges Worldwide is an international development charity. We work on behalf of our local partners to match skilled volunteers to assignments in developing countries where their skills are urgen...
London and Nairobi, United Kingdom
22 May 2013
Opportunity has expired
Sales and Business Development Specialist
Spend between 3 and 12 months in Nairobi, Kenya, sharing your skills and experience with a charity which distributes IT equipment to schools and hospitals.
London and Nairobi, United Kingdom
Applicants are required to hold the relevant Visas/Work Permits
To view this opportunity please sign back in or join
(it takes 10 seconds and might change your life!)
New to Escape?
Sign up for free
Already a member?
Challenges Worldwide is a pioneering not-for-profit organisation that facilitates impact investment, business support and advice for SMEs in low and middle-income countries.
We are currently looking for an experienced Sales and Business Development Specialist to support our partner for between 3 and 12 months.
Our partner is a development charity which aims to reduce poverty through practical ICT solutions. It collects IT equipment for distribution in hospitals, universities, schools, and not-for-profit organisations in over 100 countries. They also work on initiatives to increase access to ICT among poor and disadvantaged communities by providing e-learning courses, training and environmental advocacy.
They currently require a Sales and Business Development Specialist to develop and implement a business strategy to maximise the equipment and support they provide.
The volunteer will work with the team to support their activities in securing sales of computer equipment to existing partners, research new potential partners to sell computers to, and research new potential partners offering services/equipment that will add to its portfolio of products. The role will also involve investigating partner opportunities with NGOs in Africa who deliver projects and programmes of work which our partner could add value to, either by sales or fundraising.
Support is also required to devise a business development plan and to develop networking and stakeholder relationships in the UK. The volunteer will keep abreast of trends in news and events in the IT and sustainability operating environment using networks, personal contacts and the IT and business media to ensure our partner remains well informed of pertinent developments in its relevant markets.
This is a very hands-on role and will suit a self starter. A willingness to travel throughout Africa and to London regularly would be desirable, as well as:
- Experience in managing, leading and driving business development.
- Experience of developing, implementing and managing business development strategies and associated procedures.
- Experience of working within an international development. organisation, preferably in the field.
- Excellent negotiation & influencing skills.
- Experience of a customer services function, and managing the end-to-end customer experience.
- Experience of leading a team; including change management, performance management, conducting regular one to ones with team and providing feedback.
- Ability to work efficiently under own initiative delivering high quality outcomes to tight deadlines and targets.
- Ability to deal effectively with people from all backgrounds and from all hierarchical levels.
- Ability to establish, develop and manage relationships with key individuals and organisations.
- Excellent inter-personal and presentation skills.
- Market research skills.
- Cultural sensitivity.
Please note that this is an unpaid role, however all expenses (including
flights, accommodation, insurance, daily subsistence etc.) will be covered.
Ask a question about this opportunity
Your question has been submitted successfully!
You will receive a notification when the question has been answered.