Challenges Worldwide is an international development charity. We work on behalf of our local partners to match skilled volunteers to assignments in developing countries where their skills are urgently required. For more details and a full listing of our assignments please visit the Challenges Worldwide website.
3 Feb 2014
Opportunity has expired
Experience in retail? Use your skills and experience to help firms in Kenya to improve their after-sales customer relations
Applicants are required to hold the relevant Visas/Work Permits
To view this opportunity please sign back in or join
(it takes 10 seconds and might change your life!)
New to Escape?
Sign up for free
Already a member?
Both roles will last approximately 3 months, based in and around Nairobi and its outskirts. We hope the roles will begin in early 2014
Our partner is a Kenyan organisation working with agrodealers in rural areas to improve their business processes and customer management practices. Our partner has facilitated partnerships between these agrodealers and small ICT firms, and some have already begun using technology to their advantage.
We are currently recruiting two volunteers to support this organisation.
The first role is a general retail consultancy role which will involve working closely with agrodealers, mentoring them in:
- basics of merchandising, inventory, and financial management
- development of customer loyalty programs
- improvement of promotional and marketing campaign and tactics, including how to assess marketing and promotional investments
- how to use management information more effectively for strategic planning and decision making.is so hope to recruit a volunteer who will support the agrodealers to improve their retailing, so please mention if you’d be interested in this opportunity (either as well as or instead of the role above) and we’ll contact you with more information once we have it.It has become clear that better engagement between the agrodealers and ICT firms would help ensure that users are exploiting new systems to their full potential. With this in mind, we are currently looking for a retail consultant to help the firms appreciate the value of strong after-sales support.
The second role is more closely tied to aftersales and, if possible, some previous experience in ICT. It will involve working with both the ICT firms and the users to illustrate the importance of (and value in) following up with customers after initial implementation. The successful volunteer will also have the skills and knowledge to help the ICT firms package their products more effectively.
• Previous experience of providing retail consultancy is necessary
• The knowledge, initiative and confidence to work with markets that aren’t always ready for ICT would be beneficial for the second assignment
• Excellent communication skills
• Previous experience of training and mentoring others
• Previous experience of working in low-income countries is desirable but not essential
These would be ideal opportunities for experienced professionals to use their skills in a new and exciting environment, as although unpaid we will cover your expenses. We provide return flights, insurance, in-country accommodation, transport and inoculations. You will also receive a daily stipend for meals and subsistence.
Please email your CV and a cover letter outlining the relevant experience you have and your motivations for applying to: email@example.com - we look forward to hearing from you.
Ask a question about this opportunity
Your question has been submitted successfully!
You will receive a notification when the question has been answered.
Applying via "Express your Interest"
The new, simpler, more efficient way to kick off the application process!
1. Complete your Escape Profile
You need a complete
to express your interest.
2. Express your interest
Once you are happy with
your Escape Profile
express your interest.
3. Get an outcome
Get a response within 30 days.
If succesful the employer will
send you the next steps.