Edirisa UK was founded by Sheila Windridge in 2005 to support a small community in South Western Uganda. We are working to improve the living conditions of the local people, focusing on education, health and sanitation, the provision of clean water and sustainable enterprise.We began by funding a primary school on the shores of Lake Bunyonyi and have extended our activities to include building and running 4 nursery schools, renovating 5 primary schools, establishing a special needs education centre where 80 children board, installing over 60 water harvesting tanks in the community and are building a clinic on Bwama Island at Lake Bunyonyi.Through our volunteer programme we run workshops in the primary schools and nurseries, supporting the teachers and improving the learning environment. Volunteers also take part in community focus groups and a variety of other activities.We support sustainable projects for local communities – craft making, bee-keeping, vegetable gardens and orchards – as we believe in a “hand up” not a “hand out”.
24 Jun 2013
Opportunity has expired
Crafts Development Manager
Wanted - that special person who can combine creativity with organisational skills, loves Africa and wants to help locals build their own future.
Applicants are required to hold the relevant Visas/Work Permits
To view this opportunity please sign back in or join
(it takes 10 seconds and might change your life!)
New to Escape?
Sign up for free
Already a member?
Over the last 2 years we have been developing our crafts section, introducing new crafts, sourcing different materials, finding new retail outlets to stock our products and training local women. Our Crafts Development Manager will be returning home at the end of August, 2013. We are looking for a replacement to join our team in Uganda to continue to organise and build our crafts section.
This is a volunteer position with a small salary and accommodation provided.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Keep detailed accounts of income and expenditure to be reported on a monthly basis.
- Manage a small team of tailors and shop assistants.
- Oversee our shop at Lake Bunyonyi.
- Develop new products with the Edirisa UK tailor and basket makers.
- Coordinate purchasing and delivery of crafts materials and source new suppliers.
- Manage and Update a comprehensive database of all crafts we make, including materials needed, production costs and RRP.
- Ensure all crafts are of a consistently high standard (this will include regular training and monitoring of Edirisa's various craft groups).
- To keep up to date information on all groups we work with including specific members, their abilities and crafts that they can supply.
- To continue the sewing and training workshops with our craft groups.
- To develop markets in Kampala and resorts around the country.
Our Business Strategy
- To further market our craft products in Uganda and Rwanda through tourist hotels, lodges and other outlets.
- To continue training workshops.
- To build a Craft Workshop, Cafe and Shop in Kabale - part of the Community Project designed for us by the Faculty of the Built Environment at the Uganda Martyrs University.
Ask a question about this opportunity
Your question has been submitted successfully!
You will receive a notification when the question has been answered.
Applying via "Express your Interest"
The new, simpler, more efficient way to kick off the application process!
1. Complete your Escape Profile
You need a complete
to express your interest.
2. Express your interest
Once you are happy with
your Escape Profile
express your interest.
3. Get an outcome
Get a response within 30 days.
If succesful the employer will
send you the next steps.