Life is too short to spend it working on things that don’t inspire you, to be trapped in an office writing reports no one ever reads, to go to meetings no one really cares about, to work on projects that don’t lead anywhere. Seriously, how long are you going to wait to make that change?
Escaping the City isn’t about just exchanging one job for another – it’s about lifestyle design and making the most out of your life. And right now is the best time to start your own business that incorporates your passion.
In this one-day workshop, author and entrepreneur Joanna Penn leads you through the necessary steps towards building a lifestyle business, and refusing to waste another second of your life doing something you don’t enjoy.
This course helps you to build a stable foundation upon which to grow a sustainable, meaningful business of your own - from helping you question startup assumptions and expectations, to understanding your values and identifying the sweet spot between your passion and skill and what actually makes money.
What you will learn:
- How to generate ideas for your business: What do you actually want to do with your life? Questioning assumptions and expectations around how you make a living. Deciding on the life values that will guide your business. Why a business with a small footprint doesn’t have to have a small income.
- How to combine your passion with what people will pay for: The importance of understanding customers, sales and products that people will buy. How cashflow works in a global, digital market. Examples of passion businesses that make serious money.
- How to use personal branding and online marketing to build a tribe: The importance of your authentic story and ‘know, like, trust’ in a world of fakes. Strategy and techniques for building your tribe online.
- Business practicalities and psychology: The tools you will need to build your business, plus some of the hurdles you’ll face on the way to entrepreneurship. How to build your business while still working, goals and measuring success.
- Company setup, accounting & legalities: When should you set up a company? What kind of structure do you want? How do you legally work with other people as a small business? How do you keep costs down but also protect your IP? Featuring Joanna Tall, from OffToSeeMyLawyer.com
- How to actually get out of the day job: The career change process and how to start the process of leaving the day job and beginning your new life
There will be plenty of teaching and inspiration, as well as practical how-to advice, but you’ll also have time to focus on your specific ideas and ask questions to help you take actionable steps towards your dream. Plus, you will leave with a plan of action that you can work towards in 2013.
There will be multimedia components before and after the course, stretching the learning beyond the single day. You’ll also have the chance to connect online with other Escape members before and after the course.
You should come to this workshop:
- If you want to escape your unfulfilling, soul-destroying office job and design your own lifestyle business
- If you want to build a business around your passion i.e. not something you want to build to great heights and sell on (like a traditional startup) but something you are growing for the long term, that centres around you as an individual
- If you’re a creative who wants to focus on developing business skills and taking your creativity into the entrepreneurial realm