Fair Trade USA
Fair Trade USA
Fair Trade USA is a non-profit, mission-driven organization that tackles social and environmental sustainability with an innovative, entrepreneurial approach. We empower farmers and workers to fight poverty, improve the lives of their communities, and protect the environment. We are the leading independent, third-party certifier of Fair Trade products in the United States.
Oakland, CA, United States
5 Dec 2012
Opportunity has expired
Business Development Specialist, Produce & Floral
One of the most rewarding and impactful jobs in the world of social enterprise!
Oakland, CA, United States
Applicants are required to hold the relevant Visas/Work Permits
To view this opportunity please sign back in or join
(it takes 10 seconds and might change your life!)
New to Escape?
Sign up for free
Already a member?
We’re looking to expand our team to include someone who:
- Believes deeply that our current approach to the planet and its people doesn’t work, and wants to make things better
- Enjoys operating in an innovative, fast-paced and rapidly-changing environment
- Understands how business works and how business-decisions are made, so we can figure out how a company can best fit Fair Trade into their business model
- Is quick-on-their-feet in developing mutually beneficial solutions
If that describes you, we’d love to meet!
Overview of position:
- This position is responsible for increasing our positive impact on farming communities and the environment by supporting and further developing our sales, marketing and communications capabilities for Fair Trade Certified produce & floral importers, distributors, and retailers.
- The Specialist will work with these partners to help them best share the impact they're having through Fair Trade with their customers (whether online, in advertisements, or at events). The Specialist will also play a key role in growing sales of both Fair Trade fresh produce & floral products through developing relationships with fresh produce distributors and natural food stores.
- The Specialist’s time is expected to be split evenly between marketing/communications and sales. A lot of this will be done by e-mail or over the phone, but domestic travel will likely be necessary about 25% of the time.
- Maintain and develop new marketing and communications tools for produce & floral including quarterly newsletters and producer highlights
- Plan, coordinate, and execute communication calendar and outbound communication flow
- Provide key partners with marketing support appropriate for the size of the opportunity either independently or working with our in-house Marketing & Design team
- Provide operational support to help coordinate event/tradeshow/conference presence including upcoming Farmer & Farmworker Conference in Mexico, Farmworker Retail Tour, Annual PMA expo, Eco-Farm conference
- Maintain accuracy of partner & grower information in our database (Salesforce)
- Manage creation and delivery of partner Impact Reports
- Develop relationships with fresh produce distributors and natural food stores to grow sales of Fair Trade Certified produce & floral, which may include cold calling and making formal presentations
- Handle licensing process for produce & floral importers
- Bachelor’s degree
- Fluency in Spanish preferred
- Ability to work autonomously
- Great attention to detail is a must
- Demonstrated coalition builder
- Excellent negotiation and communication skills
- Proficient in all Microsoft Office applications, especially Excel and PowerPoint
- Some travel (~25%) is required
A resume and cover letter describing your interest, qualifications, language abilities, and salary requirements should be directed to Alexandria Coari. In addition, including a sample marketing collateral (ie: signage, newsletter, blog post) and/or sales presentation you’ve created (highlighting a social cause or otherwise) to emphasize your passion is greatly appreciated and preferred.
Ask a question about this opportunity
Your question has been submitted successfully!
You will receive a notification when the question has been answered.
Applying via "Express your Interest"
The new, simpler, more efficient way to kick off the application process!
1. Complete your Escape Profile
You need a complete
to express your interest.
2. Express your interest
Once you are happy with
your Escape Profile
express your interest.
3. Get an outcome
Get a response within 30 days.
If succesful the employer will
send you the next steps.