Future First works to close the career achievement gap between those born into low-income and high income homes and, in doing so, contribute to improving social mobility. Our strategy to deliver this is to create a culture and system that sees every state school and college supported by a thriving, engaged alumni community. Within every school and college community, there is a whole host of potential career and education role models, volunteers, donors, work experience providers, governors, mentors and e-mentors. Future First helps them to harness this resource.
London, United Kingdom
22 Jan 2014
Opportunity has expired
Salary: up to £36,000
Director of Operations
Looking for an exceptional project and people manager to help lead the growth of our charity at this exciting stage of our development!
London, United Kingdom
Applicants are required to hold the relevant Visas/Work Permits
Salary: up to £36,000
To view this opportunity please sign back in or join
(it takes 10 seconds and might change your life!)
New to Escape?
Sign up for free
Already a member?
About The Role
The Director of Operations will work across Future First to ensure that our programmes are consistently of the highest quality and the organisation that underpins them is efficient and effective.
We are looking for an exceptional project and people manager who is looking for an opportunity to help lead the growth of our charity at this exciting stage of our development. The successful candidate will play a critical role in the future success of the organisation.
The role would ideally suit somebody with experience of management consultancy, or equivalent experience in a public or third-sector context.
As a key member of the Senior Leadership Team, the Director of Operations will work closely with the colleagues responsible for the delivery of specific programmes, but will also be expected to lead other projects directly themselves.
They will also lead the on-going development of our internal processes as the charity continues to move from start-up phase into an efficient, effective and sustainable national organisation.
This is a new position and will report to the Managing Director.
- Working with the delivery teams to set targets and support these teams to meet these deadlines
- Overseeing and regularly checking in with team leaders against targets; trouble shooting and frequent problem analysis
- Reporting regularly to the Managing Director on progress towards organisational targets
- Placing emphasis and focusing on Future First monitoring and evaluation framework, supporting delivery team to be able to collect effectively the data required
- Using existing data sets from current programmes to ensure first-class programme delivery and maximum operational effectiveness and efficiency
- Working with colleagues to identify potential new datasets that could support better programme delivery and operational effectiveness/efficiency
Team management and HR
- Take responsibility for overseeing and supporting those team members under his/her line management to ensure they are trained, supported and resourced to effectively undertake their jobs
- Manage the recruitment process of all new staff to first round stage- drafting job description, interviewing candidates and filtering applications - as the organisation grows
- Ensuring recruitment practices are consistent across the organisation to maintain organisational culture and staff quality
- Ensure exemplary HR processes are in place across the organisation, including by keeping all policies up-to-date
- Work with the Office Assistant to ensure all staff across the organisation have a work environment is well maintained and enables them to be healthy, productive and effective in their job, including ensuring all staff have suitable technology to excel in their roles
- Working to develop cross-organisational working and sharing of best practice
- Manage the staff mentoring programme
Legal oversight and planning;
- Ensuring Future First has in place and follows up to date and exemplary child protection, health and safety, data protection, equality and environmental policies, paying attention to legal changes surrounding these issues
- Working with the pro bono legal team to protect Future First and its beneficiaries, including child safety law, contracts, employment law, copyright and intellectual property
- Acting as Company Secretary to the Board of Trustees
- Working with accountancy and legal teams to ensure accurate filing with Companies House, HMRC, the Charities’ Commission etc
- As a member of the Senior Leadership Team in a fast growing organisation, it is critical that our Director of Operations is open to being involved in other tasks appropriate to this role to support the Managing Director and other colleagues
- Work with the Finance Officer to ensure invoices to clients are sent and paid promptly
- To act as a role model and motivator through living the charity’s values and ensuring staff work collaboratively to deliver organisational goals
The Candidate – Essential
- Entrepreneurial, self-starter, able to turn ideas into outcomes
- Minimum of two years’ experience of managing staff
- Proven experience of project management
- Passion for issues surrounding social mobility and education
- Excellent oral communication and interpersonal skills to manage a wide variety of internal and external relationships
- Strong understanding of issues facing students in UK state education system
- Ability to manage competing priorities, to work to tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment and still produce quality outputs
- Degree-level qualified or significant relevant work experience
The ideal candidate – Desirable
- Experience of working in a consultative capacity
- Experience of budget management
- Expertise in monitoring and evaluating the success of programmes
To apply, please send a one page cover letter and a CV of no
more than two sides of A4, to firstname.lastname@example.org
The closing date for applications is Monday
13th January at 12 noon.
Ask a question about this opportunity
Your question has been submitted successfully!
You will receive a notification when the question has been answered.
Applying via "Express your Interest"
The new, simpler, more efficient way to kick off the application process!
1. Complete your Escape Profile
You need a complete
to express your interest.
2. Express your interest
Once you are happy with
your Escape Profile
express your interest.
3. Get an outcome
Get a response within 30 days.
If succesful the employer will
send you the next steps.