Grassroots TZ is a local NGO working to prevent environmental destruction in the remote regions of Tanzania. To support this, Grassroots TZ also provides assistance to local schools as well as increasing the future generation's awareness about the impact of environmental degradation. Founded by husband and wife, Martin and Charlie Hopley, their inaugural project is at Itumba Hill Singida, some 5 hours south of Manyoni on the border of the Rungwa National Park.
31 Mar 2014
Opportunity has expired
Techno expert needed for young Tanzanian based NGO
Applicants are required to hold the relevant Visas/Work Permits
To view this opportunity please sign back in or join
(it takes 10 seconds and might change your life!)
New to Escape?
Sign up for free
Already a member?
Grassroots Tanzania is a local NGO based in Tanzania, East Africa working to prevent environmental destruction in the remote regions of country. To support this, Grassroots Tanzania also provides assistance to local schools as well as increasing the future generation's awareness about the impact of environmental degradation.
Our Vision: Uniting People and the Environment through compassion and mutual respect to invest in a sustainable way of life
Our Mission: We strive to put an end to land degradation by delivering conservation and education programs to cultivate enduring self reliance within remote communities in Tanzania
Founded in 2013 by husband and wife partnership, Martin & Charlie Hopley, Grassroots Tanzania is seeking an IT Specialist (volunteer position) to join the team. Working alongside the Directors, this short-term position (up to 3 month full-time) will support the Project Offices IT requirements including the implementation of new systems. At this stage, the organisation is unable to pay a salary. This role is suitable for someone with the ability to self-fund for the period, seeking to develop his or her career in International Development.
Further information about our work and progress in our first year can be found at our website (www.grassrootstz.org), on our Facebook page (Grassroots Tanzania) & at Linkedin. For further information and any queries you may have, please contact Charlie Hopley, Co-Founding Director at firstname.lastname@example.org. Questions are encouraged.
Grassroots Tanzania Company Limited is a registered not-for-profit company, no. 95586, incorporate under the Companies Act, 2002 of Tanzania on the 22nd Jan 2013.
Terms: 3 months ideally commencing June/July 2014. Hours of work: 9 – 5.30pm.
- Design, deliver the installation of a donor management system (already selected) tailoring to the needs of Grassroots Tanzania
- Migrate and manage data transfer from existing systems and paper records ensuring data integrity
- Write bespoke user manual suitable for volunteers
- Link systems with existing processes (Communications, newsletter writing etc. and Accounts)
- Support the networking requirements of the project office
- Provide support to web and email capabilities
- Advise on future and on going IT requirements via the provision of a Report to the Directors/Management
You must have the ability to commit to a 3-month period. Depending on experience and time invested the role may take less or more time to complete the required tasks.
- Degree educated (or equivalent). Minimum 3 years work experience.
- Fluent in written and spoken English
- Demonstrable experience of managing bespoke systems implementation
- Networking and Email Management Systems experience
- Ability to translate IT language into layman’s words
- Project Management Skills
- Willingness to work with limited resources
- Ability to multi-task with an adaptable/flexible approach to one’s work as well as cope with ambiguity
- Self funding (see below for further information: Living in Tanzania)
- Entrepreneurial spirit
- Experience living/travelling in Africa
Living in Tanzania:
In order to undertake the role, you will need to be self-funding. The position will be located in Moshi, Moshi-Kilimanjaro (northern Tanzania).
Supporting your living costs in Moshi, you will need to consider:
- Flights to/from home destination
- Visa application process: USD 200 for CTA permit
- International medical insurance (essential)
- Accommodation and food. Hostel accommodation, shared room with shared bathroom facilities with meals cost in the region of USD 15-20/day. Support can be provided to find suitable accommodation. Please note this time of year is high season so if you require assistance looking for accommodation, notification must be provided as earliest as possible.
- Funds for personal travel, holiday time and entertainment
In addition, a yellow fever certificate is essential as well as being up to date with your immunisations. Anti-malarials are recommended.
Please send cover letter (1 page only) and CV (max 2 pages) to email@example.com. Cover letter should include your reasons for applying as well as why you consider yourself the ideal person for the role. Font size should be no smaller than 10.
Ask a question about this opportunity
Your question has been submitted successfully!
You will receive a notification when the question has been answered.
Applying via "Express your Interest"
The new, simpler, more efficient way to kick off the application process!
1. Complete your Escape Profile
You need a complete
to express your interest.
2. Express your interest
Once you are happy with
your Escape Profile
express your interest.
3. Get an outcome
Get a response within 30 days.
If succesful the employer will
send you the next steps.