The welfare of the environment in the Maldives is a supremely important issue, although it is often one that little is done about. Community awareness is generally low, with local people having no real knowledge of the dangers they face through issues such as climate change and waste management. Working as an environmentalist in the Maldives, your main duties will be the raising of the awareness of the local community. This may include giving presentations and designing materials such as leaflets and posters. Other activities may involve the liaising with councils on environmental matters and offering advice and guidance on the environmental effects of new developments and projects. A basic knowledge of the environment is required for this placement, but more important are a love for it and a passion for helping a community that is very much in danger from environmental problems. Some form of educational background in environment is desired but not necessary. For more information please visit http://huvadhooaid.org/volunteering/
Background in environmental studies preferred
Passion for environmental conservation
Good inter-personal skills
Raising community awareness through presentations, workshops and youth camps
Participating in environmental activities and ongoing projects
Our volunteering fees include all your food and accommodation, a local sim-card for your phone, visa costs, 24 hour support, local transportation both to and within the atoll, weekly activities and anything else you will require specific to your placement. Weekly activities may involve fishing trips, snorkeling round the coral reefs or picnics to uninhabited islands. Locals will more often than not be used for transport within the atoll, and as much of our food as possible is locally sourced. Our transparent policy ensures that our volunteers know exactly where their money goes. You will be able to see precisely what your money is being spent on and if you have any questions or issues at all, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
Additional to the program fee is an administration Fee - This US$200 fee helps to cover the administrative costs involved for the time and work between our application review and your arrival in Maldives such as visa applications, office overheads and local staff.
Our activities as an NGO greatly benefit the local community, and when you join our family you too will be able to watch your time and money become invested in the happiness of the local people.
Duration Currency Amount
3 Weeks US Dollar 1,050.00
4 weeks US Dollar 1,400.00
6 weeks US Dollar 2,000.00
8 Weeks US Dollar 2,550.00
10 weeks US Dollar 3,050.00
12 Weeks 12 weeks 3,600.00
More than 12 weeks – USD 285 per week.
What you get for the fee:
· Volunteer placement within Huvadhoo Aid or with one of our partner NGOs.
· Domestic transportation from Male international airport to the island. This includes a flight to nearest domestic airport followed by a boat ride to the island where you stay
· Minimum of one picnic to nearby uninhabited island, although more often than not this will be a weekly occurrence!
· Accommodation for the length of your stay, and 3 full meals a day (4 if you include afternoon tea!)
· Optional Dhivehi (the national language) lessons.
· Visa for the length of your stay (details of which will be provided before your flight).
· Local member to ensure you have everything you need and constant support throughout your stay.
· A Dhiraagu sim-card so you can make local calls and texts (you must provide your own phone, however, and pay for your own calls and texts).
Returning volunteer discount
Early bird special
This Program is open to
American, Asian, Australian, Canadian, European, Kiwi, South African and Worldwide Participants. This Program is also open to Families, Couples and Individuals.Application Process Involves
o Online Application plus Application Assessment
o Written Application to firstname.lastname@example.org