Imbabazi is dedicated to the continuation of the work and the preservation of the legacy of Rosamond Carr (1912-2006) by providing education, skills training and income generating opportunities to orphans, children and community members in Rwanda to empower future leaders and the local community.
Rural North West Rwanda, Rwanda
29 Jun 2013
Opportunity has expired
An exciting opportunity for a dynamic rural development professional to lead a small Rwandan NGO in a time of transformation. Imbabazi is striving to become a hub for rural innovation through programs of agriculture, tourism and education.
Rural North West Rwanda, Rwanda
Applicants are required to hold the relevant Visas/Work Permits
To view this opportunity please sign back in or join
(it takes 10 seconds and might change your life!)
New to Escape?
Sign up for free
Already a member?
The focus of the role is to manage the organization through a period of transition from primarily an orphanage offering residential care to a local hub for rural innovation through programs of agriculture, tourism and education.
The Executive Director is the Chief Executive Officer of Imbabazi. The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors, and is responsible for the organization's consistent achievement of its mission and financial objectives. In program development and management, the Executive Director will:
- Work with the Board of Directors to develop the
organizations long-range strategy which achieves its mission, and assure
consistent and timely progress is made in its implementation.
- Provide leadership in developing program,
organizational and financial plans with the Board of Directors and staff,
and carry out plans and policies authorized by the board.
- Maintain official records and documents, and
ensure compliance with Rwandan regulations.
- Maintain a working knowledge of Rwanda’s national development priorities.
In communications, the Executive Director will:
- See that the board is kept fully informed on the
condition of the organization and all important factors influencing it.
- Publicize the activities of the organization,
its programs and goals.
- Represent the programs and point of view of the organization to agencies, organizations, and the general public.
In relations with staff, the Executive Director will:
- Be responsible for the recruitment, employment,
and release of all personnel, both paid staff and volunteers.
- Ensure that job descriptions are developed, that
regular performance evaluations are held, and that sound human resource
practices are in place.
- See that an effective management team is in place to meet the emerging strategic changes
- Maintain a convivial and respectful climate of work which attracts, keeps, and motivates a diverse staff of people committed to the Imbabazi mission.
In budget and finance, the Executive Director will:
- Be responsible for maintaining sound financial
- Work with the staff, Finance Committee, and the
board in preparing a budget; see that the organization operates within
- Ensure that adequate funds are available to
permit the organization to carry out its work.
- Jointly, with the president and secretary of the board of directors, conduct official correspondence of the organization, and jointly, with designated officers, execute legal documents.
The ideal candidate will possess a minimum of 2 years experience in rural development and be willing to make a medium term commitment to being in Rwanda.
Core competencies include demonstrated leadership abilities, strong management skills, organization and analytical skills, flexibility and a natural communicator.
Preferable competencies: knowledge of tropical agriculture, small business experience and/or financial/accounting skills.
high level of motivation and integrity.
A bachelor’s degree, English language fluency and a willingness to work in a remote environment is required.
Job type: Fulltime/open
Starting date: 1st September 2013 approx.
Salary range: stipend $2000 per month, accommodation, food, local and international transport to place of work
Deadline: Position open until filled
Ask a question about this opportunity
Your question has been submitted successfully!
You will receive a notification when the question has been answered.
Applying via "Express your Interest"
The new, simpler, more efficient way to kick off the application process!
1. Complete your Escape Profile
You need a complete
to express your interest.
2. Express your interest
Once you are happy with
your Escape Profile
express your interest.
3. Get an outcome
Get a response within 30 days.
If succesful the employer will
send you the next steps.