Kiva is a non-profit organization with a mission to connect people through lending to alleviate poverty. Leveraging the internet and a worldwide network of microfinance institutions, Kiva lets indi...
San Francisco, United States
15 Oct 2013
Opportunity has expired
Kiva Internship -- 30 Open Positions!
Work and play with the top minds in non-profits!
San Francisco, United States
Applicants are required to hold the relevant Visas/Work Permits
To view this opportunity please sign back in or join
(it takes 10 seconds and might change your life!)
New to Escape?
Sign up for free
Already a member?
As the world's first and largest online microfinance lending platform, Kiva connects millions of lenders and borrowers around the world to alleviate poverty. To date, it has facilitated over $475 million in loans to more than a million borrowers. Kiva's interns have been integral to this success since Kiva was founded in 2005. With our interns’ passion, drive, ideas, and expertise, we are able to expand our reach and make a real impact.
As a Kiva intern you will work hard and learn volumes about everything from business to international development. Kiva interns work in every department and play a variety of roles. What they all have in common is that they play a significant part in executing key projects to further Kiva's mission. What you do at Kiva will be a springboard for your success as a professional in the field you desire.
Kiva is currently hiring for 30+ part-time internship positions that begin January 23rd and end in June 2nd, 2014. Internship roles vary from identifying promising international investments to furthering our social media efforts, to developing new technologies, providing consulting experience to Kiva's strategy teams, and to supporting our volunteer programs. Regardless of the role, the program’s focus is the same: to provide a great career development experience that leverages your existing talents and enables you to hone new ones.
Kiva Internships are unpaid and require interns to work at our San Francisco Headquarters 3 days per week. We highly suggest you have the availability before submitting an application.
Example Internship Fields:
We will be placing interns in positions such as:
Kiva Zip Intern - On-boarding new Trustees and Borrwers and Marketing Kiva Zip.
Strategic Initiatives - Explore potential leads for new types of partners, helping to increase the amount of catalytic loans on Kiva.org
Kiva Expert, Community Support - Learn the depths of Kiva in order to respond to a variety of questions from lenders and the public.
Program Management - Support our volunteer programs (Review and Translation Volunteers, Fellows, and Interns)
Marketing - Through social media, public relations, or blog writing, your creativity will reach the public as you tell the stories of Kiva and borrowers around the globe to our public audience.
These are general skills needed to intern at Kiva, and not based on specific roles.
- Entrepreneurial spirit and desire to go above and beyond what is asked
- Highly organized individual with an aptitude for working in a start-up environment.
- Ability take on multiple projects, work independently, manage your time to meet deadlines, and happily tackle work that ranges from high-level responsibilities to tedious tasks.
- Strong research and writing skills
- Proven project management skills
- Experience working in Word, Excel, and Powerpoint
- Must have own laptop to bring to Kiva
- Competency in a foreign language in Kiva’s portfolio: French, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish. (A plus, but not a requirement.)
- Opportunity to join the team of the world’s first online lending platform.
- Robust microfinance education and career development opportunities.
- References gladly given for successful participants.
Ask a question about this opportunity
Your question has been submitted successfully!
You will receive a notification when the question has been answered.