The International Land Coalition (ILC) is a global alliance working to promote access to land for people who are landless or have insecure land rights.
16 Jul 2013
Opportunity has expired
See job description
ILC Africa Regional Coordinator
Further the work of The International Land Coalition in Harare, Zimbabwe or another capital city in Africa.
Applicants are required to hold the relevant Visas/Work Permits
See job description
To view this opportunity please sign back in or join
(it takes 10 seconds and might change your life!)
New to Escape?
Sign up for free
Already a member?
The global secretariat of ILC is based in Rome, and carries the responsibility at the global level to provide support to the coalition in the implementation of the strategic plan. At regional level, ILC is organised in regional platforms. This provides opportunities for national and regionally-based members to strengthen their ownership of the coalition and ensures that the actions of ILC are more relevant to the specific regional contexts.
The regional coordination unit for Africa has been hosted for the past three years in Kigali, Rwanda. However, with this recruitment the unit will be relocated to a new member organisation in Africa. The location (to be decided by the ILC Africa Steering Committee) will be in Harare or another capital city in Africa, hosted by a member of ILC.
Terms of Reference:The ILC Africa Regional Coordinator will be accountable to the Steering Committee of ILC Africa and will be directly answerable to the ILC Africa Steering Committee through their sub-committee on programmes and performance. She/he will work on a daily basis under the direct supervision of the head of the host institution. The coordinator will liaise with the Rome-based secretariat in the operation of his/her duties, and will oversee ILC contracts in the region related to the implementation of the regional plan of work.
Interested candidates must have excellent communication skills, networking experience at the international and regional level, involving complex relationships between countries, donors, NGOs/CSOs, and public. Interested candidates must be able to demonstrate a passion for, and understanding of, land reform including land rights and development issues.
Requirements:The coordinator is expected to meet the following requirements:
- Knowledge and experience in land-tenure related matters and initiatives in the international and particularly African context
- Masters degree or higher in Environmental Sciences, Natural Resources, Sociology, Economics, Law, and at least 10 years related experience or equivalent combination
- Excellent writing and verbal mastery of either English or French, and good working skills in the other. Portuguese will be an added advantage.
- Management and supervisory experience, including the ability to set and accomplish objectives and manage performance
- Experience in using web-based tools to enhance communication capacity
- Experience in inter-institutional collaboration, at both government and non-government levels, in an international setting
- Familiarity with state of the art information technologies, standards and protocols
- Experience in Non Profit Management or equivalent
- Experience in developing successful grant proposals
- Proven capacity in dealing with multiple donors
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Self-motivated and ability to work effectively with a multi-local international team
- Negotiating and fundraising skills
- Proven organizational and analytical skills
- Leadership in regional/ international context
- Strong analytical skills and ability to apply them in inter-disciplinary contexts
Terms of contract:A full and attractive package commensurate with the international nature of the position will be offered on the basis of a one year contract, renewable annually on the basis of performance and availability of funds. All aspects relating to recruitment, contracting and housing of the coordinator will be overseen by the ILC Africa Steering Committee. The position is open to candidates from any African country, and women are particularly encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates should send their Letter of Intent and Curriculum Vitae (CV) to firstname.lastname@example.org and copy email@example.com. Please include names and full latest contacts of three references.Applications must be received on or before 7th August 2013. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.Further information on ILC can be found at www.landcoalition.org.
Ask a question about this opportunity
Your question has been submitted successfully!
You will receive a notification when the question has been answered.
Applying via "Express your Interest"
The new, simpler, more efficient way to kick off the application process!
1. Complete your Escape Profile
You need a complete
to express your interest.
2. Express your interest
Once you are happy with
your Escape Profile
express your interest.
3. Get an outcome
Get a response within 30 days.
If succesful the employer will
send you the next steps.