Lively Minds is a small charity working to improve the lives of deprived children in Ghana and Uganda through education, health and community empowerment programmes. We are thrilled to be offering a unique and eye-opening 6 week volunteer experience in Northern Ghana.
By volunteering you will give hundreds of children free access to sustainable education and health activities and will also enhance your teamwork, leadership, project management and interpersonal skills.
You will spend 6 weeks in Tamale, Northern Ghana where you will work alongside our experienced local staff to set-up from scratch a community-run educational Play Scheme in a deprived rural village. This will involve making games, holding community meetings, training community members and launching the Scheme. This is a chance to make a personal and lasting difference to the lives of hundreds of children.
You will be involved in planning, preparation and field work - working directly with children and youth. This is a chance to work in the field and immerse yourself in village life.
You will gain first-hand experience of overseas development in some of the world's poorest communities - and you will be making a massive difference to these communities.
You will learn to how to adapt your communication styles working with people from different cultures and learning to respond with flexibility to new environments.
- 8 March - 20 April 2013
- 3 May - 15 June 2013
- 19 July – 31 August 2013
- 13 September – 26 October 2013
- 29 November 2013 – 11 January 2014
- 20 January – 1 March 2014
What will it involve?
- You must raise a minimum donation of £800 –This will go directly into our projects in Ghana and you will see first-hand how your fundraising is making a difference and changing lives.
- You must be aged 18 or over
What will Lively Minds provide?
- Information and fundraising ideas pack
- Pre-departure induction training in the UK
- Accommodation in Tamale, Ghana with the other volunteers
- You will be met at the airport in Ghana and accompanied to Tamale to your accommodation
- Orientation and structured supervision and support whilst in Ghana
- Motorbike transport to field with our local staff
- Post-volunteering debriefing
What Lively Minds will not cover
- Flights and visa (approximately £550-800) - We can suggest flights so that all our volunteers can travel together
- Food/subsistence whilst in Ghana (from £250)
- Travel Insurance
- Any other medical expenses (e.g. vaccinations) where relevant
- UK transport for training and to/from the airport in the UK