Participle works with and for the public. Together we create new types of public services that make a real difference in everyday lives.
London, United Kingdom
7 May 2013
Opportunity has expired
£45,000 - 50,000 depending on experience
Head of Services
Looking for an experienced, operationally-minded Head of Services to help Backr grow from successful start up to National programme. This is an opportunity to take radical social innovation to scale and change thousands of lives for the better!
London, United Kingdom
Applicants are required to hold the relevant Visas/Work Permits
£45,000 - 50,000 depending on experience
To view this opportunity please sign back in or join
(it takes 10 seconds and might change your life!)
New to Escape?
Sign up for free
Already a member?
We're throwing an informal Open House from 6pm this Thursday, May 23rd @ Participle HQ. Make a great impression before you apply & meet the rest of the team! Directions here: http://www.participle.net/contact_us
With a million young people out of work, increasing long term unemployment, a contracting economy and a Government looking to small businesses for job creation, the need for transformational solutions has never been more critical. You will join a delivery-focused team in a Senior role to grow Backr: a social network for the new world of work, supporting members to create connections, opportunities and momentum.
After a successful pilot stage during which we built traction and demonstrated social impact, we are now about to enter a two-year growth phase to scale Backr - initially in London. Our objective is to demonstrate that our relational welfare system can make a real difference to the lives of the those failed by the current system and, in the process, build a sustainable, scalable solution for local economic growth. This phase of the work is supported by the JPMorgan Chase Foundation and will be delivered in partnership with three local authorities.
About the role
You will be responsible for delivery of Backr as a service, ensuring key membership numbers and outcomes are met. You will take the network from 500 to 5,000 members. As Head of Services, your key roles and responsibilities are:
- Daily implementation: you are totally focused on delivery, responsible for delivering against the targets that are in place and ensuring they are consistently met. In a given week, this will mean ensuring a variety of activities are successfully delivered, from group networking events and skills workshops to connecting members with professional opportunities and activating new members to engage with the service.
- Leading by example: you will run a small, multi-functional team, ensuring they are organised to deliver both individually and overall across the service. You will be responsible for putting in place robust service delivery processes and consistently achieving high quality member interactions. You will work with the Backr Head of Marketing to make sure messaging is consistent across the service.
- Delivering continuous improvement: your challenge will be to maintain the core principles of a relationship-driven service while also developing processes with the scope to scale. The ground will be moving under your feet as we measure how the service creates impact and re-design elements to better achieve mission-critical outcomes. You will need to be comfortable with this level of change and have the ability to smoothly incorporate user insights and build a culture of continuous service improvement.
- Managing key partnerships: you will be responsible for building
and maintaining relationships with multiple Job Centre Plus locations and work
with the Backr Partnerships Lead to support the hundreds of small businesses
and organisations that offer work and learning opportunities to members.
Participle works with and for the public. Together we create new types of public services that make a real difference in everyday lives. We’re an Internationally-acclaimed social enterprise, based in London, working throughout the UK. We design, develop and take to scale innovative solutions to the most pressing social challenges of our time.
Participle is an equal opportunity employer. Please note that due to the varied nature of our work, this appointment is subject to an enhanced CRB check and we can only accept candidates who are able to work legally in the UK for the duration of the contract.
This is a Senior, ‘hands on’ role that provides a rare opportunity to help take radical social innovation to scale. We’re interested in meeting people from a range of backgrounds with a track record of getting things done. By that we mean:
- 5+ years experience delivering services at scale, i.e. thousands of users;
- Experience of intergrating new service ideas into an existing system;
- Demonstrable evidence of having delivered services with exceptional user experience;
- Experience running target-focussed service delivery teams;
- Demonstrable understanding of user engagement strategies to aid service improvements.
Here are three qualities that will be vital for this role:
- Completer / Finisher: you are totally focused on delivery – you know how to close a deal. You're resourceful, resolve problems creatively and love a challenge. You’ve got connections, you know a person who can...and you know where to get a thing that will. You're a producer. People know that when you're there, everything's in hand.
- Player / Coach: you are a natural at coaching your teams in a ‘hands on’ way – people learn how to do things by watching you do them. You can manage by inspiring, motivating and developing the teams you lead. You are adept at managing upwards, downwards, sideways and externally. You’re a clear, solution-oriented communicator.
- Resilience / Focus: you are comfortable in fast paced, changing environments – with a good feel for when to expand creatively and when and how to focus. You orient yourself quickly in a new place and know how to prioritise. You know how to quickly interrogate a situation, make connections and develop solutions.
Other details about the role
- Duration: Initial two-year fixed term (target start date July 2013)
- Location: Based in our offices in London Bridge
First, have a look at Backr: www.backr.net.
Then, if you think you have the skills and experience to successfully deliver in this role, send an email to Daniel Dickens (email@example.com) detailing the folllowing things:
- A link to your LinkedIn profile, your CV or however you want to tell your story;
- The service you are most proud of having built and/or delivered to thousands of people, and how you incorporated innnovation while doing so;
- The service you wish you’d been involved in creating, and why;
- The name of the most interesting person you are connected to professionally, along with why you think the connection is interesting, and how it came about.
Please apply by noon on Tuesday, May 28th at the latest making sure you give the information asked for above. We won’t consider any late or incomplete applications.
Ask a question about this opportunity
Your question has been submitted successfully!
You will receive a notification when the question has been answered.
Applying via "Express your Interest"
The new, simpler, more efficient way to kick off the application process!
1. Complete your Escape Profile
You need a complete
to express your interest.
2. Express your interest
Once you are happy with
your Escape Profile
express your interest.
3. Get an outcome
Get a response within 30 days.
If succesful the employer will
send you the next steps.