Raleigh International is a sustainable development charity. We harness the passion and energy of volunteers to effect positive change in sustainable development.
, United Kingdom
26 Sep 2011
Opportunity has expired
Volunteer overseas with Raleigh International and use your financial skills to help others!
, United Kingdom
Applicants are required to hold the relevant Visas/Work Permits
To view this opportunity please sign back in or join
(it takes 10 seconds and might change your life!)
New to Escape?
Sign up for free
Already a member?
Raleigh International is seeking Finance Managers to join expeditions in Costa Rica and Borneo. The Finance Manager works as part of the Fieldbase team, and is responsible for keeping track of the expedition accounts. This could mean up to 12 projects, 150 people, a fleet of vehicles and much more! You must be able to work independently and have good communication skills. As well as financial responsibilities, the Finance Manager plays a critical role in the day-to-day running of the expedition – everything from problem-solving to sourcing kit, maintaining contact with the project teams to resupplying trekking groups. As a member of the Fieldbase team, you will also have the opportunity to visit the young people and Project Managers on project sites, or possibly to spend a phase as a Project Manager.
Summary of Responsibilities
- Participate in a three-week Volunteer Manager induction programme
- Work alongside the Country Programme Manager or Deputy Programme Manager to set up appropriate systems for the expeditions accounts
- Supervise day-to-day expenditure and keep clear and accurate records
- Monitor levels of expenditure and cash flow against budget and advise the Country Director
- Monitor changes in currency exchange and effects on the budget
- Produce two interim reports during the programme and a summary at the end for updating head office
- To be a team player and help out with other Fieldbase responsibilities (eg. logistics and communications).
- Willingness to be flexible and put the needs of the expedition and the young people first
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Excel
- Experience with double entry bookkeeping
- Able to demonstrate basic accounting knowledge
- Prior experience in a financial/accounting role
- First class organisational skills
- Effective and clear communication skills
- Ability to work on own initiative
A typical day...
There isn’t one! One day you might be processing expenses for the last phase or ordering cash supplies ready for changeover, the next working with the logistics team to ensure groups have the right food at the right time, or manning the radio to monitor daily updates from the project groups. The next minute you might be jumping in a car to take a replacement rucksack to a trekking group, or be playing a starring role in the latest Radio Raleigh broadcast!
What is Fieldbase like?
You’ll be part of a team of volunteer managers working from the in-country headquarters to support the expedition under the guidance of the Country Director and Country Programme Manager. Fieldbase is a lively place and a great opportunity to learn new skills: the team split their time between Fieldbase and time on the road. With up to half the team out on various missions, versatility is essential: you might be required to take on extra responsibility while others are away. Likewise, you might get the chance to spend time as a Project Manager or join a trek for a few days. Every expedition is different but the Fieldbase team should be ready to get stuck in and put the needs of the expedition first.
Expeditions are 8 or 13 weeks in length, and run throughout the year. Volunteers are required to fundraise for Raleigh International in order to join an expedition.
For further information please visit www.raleighinternational.org/our-expeditions/aged-25-and-over or sign up to attend an open event here. Alternatively, you can email Sophie on email@example.com or call 02071831295 for a chat about the opportunities available.
For further information please visit www.raleighinternational.org/our-expeditions/aged-25-and-over or sign up to attend an open event here.
Alternatively, you can email Sophie on firstname.lastname@example.org or call 02071831295 for a chat about the opportunities available.
Ask a question about this opportunity
Your question has been submitted successfully!
You will receive a notification when the question has been answered.
Applying via "Express your Interest"
The new, simpler, more efficient way to kick off the application process!
1. Complete your Escape Profile
You need a complete
to express your interest.
2. Express your interest
Once you are happy with
your Escape Profile
express your interest.
3. Get an outcome
Get a response within 30 days.
If succesful the employer will
send you the next steps.