SBI is growing its Transaction Advisory Services (TAS) practice, which was founded in 2008. As well as fund structuring and capital raising, TAS provides corporate finance and M&A advisory and transaction-related services such as loan fund servicing, third party due diligence and investor relations. It also provides selected consultancy services, focused on thought-leading developments in inclusive financial services and social entrepreneurship. In providing these services, the TAS team frequently works with colleagues in SBI’s other consulting practices, and in our offices worldwide.
TAS clients include emerging markets focused funds (especially first-time funds), small business and microfinance banks, and companies seeking to provide products and services (such as energy, housing, water, education and health) to the “base of the pyramid.” Investors include sector-specialist funds, development finance institutions, high net worth individuals, family offices, foundations and other institutions such as pension funds.
TAS is seeking a mid-level professional to join its growing core team, which currently numbers 6. Initially this recruitment is likely to be under short-term contract, which could lead to a full-time position.
The candidate will work on both specific mandates as well as on more general business development and building of the practice and its “infrastructure.”
It is expected that Associates will spend approximately 70% of their time on billable project/transaction mandates and 30% on business development efforts in the first year, with progression to higher percentages of billable work in the following years. More detailed goals will be developed during the first 3 months of employment. Associates will generally be expected to work on several transactions (whether mandated or in development) at any given time. The ideal candidate will be able to balance competing demands with keen attention to detail and minimal supervision.
The career track within the TAS team progresses from Associate to Transaction Lead, with greater professional experience and responsibility for transaction management and client relationships reflected in different grades (Associate and Senior Associate) at the Associate level.
For the current position, we are seeking candidates with outstanding financial modeling skills.
- Transaction Execution
- Market research
- Mandate/transaction support in identification, pitching and negotiation
- Full participation in all phases of mandates from design and structuring to marketing, negotiation and closing; in particular:
- Participation in investor calls / meetings and maintaining team notes of open issues and transaction developments
- Maintaining investor data bases and ensuring investor communication is tracked
- Tracking and reporting of contacts with and feedback from investors
- Preparation of transaction materials such as budgets, marketing and investor documentation
- Carrying out of due diligence, data room maintenance, roadshow arrangements etc
- Developing fund/business plans and building financial models
- Involvement in term sheet and document negotiation
- Managing external parties such as legal counsel
- Special projects to be defined and assigned by reporting manager
- Business Development
- Participation in SBI calls including weekly TAS and company-wide pipeline calls, and assistance in tracking and monitoring of pipeline developments
- Identification of business opportunities through maintenance of relations with SBI’s consultants
- Contribution to the team’s efforts with respect to product innovation and transaction design
- Research, drafting, editing and formatting of transaction proposals, including development of budgets in competitive bidding situations as well as unsolicited sales proposals
- Development of Tools for the TAS Practice
- Origination and contribution to materials, processes and tools that will contribute to the growth of the practice by improving its efficiency, knowledge management and marketing efforts. These may include marketing materials describing the practice, template financial models, etc
- Work with colleagues across SBI to broaden the knowledge of TAS products and services, and assist with the creation of a “TAS-literate” cadre of consultants within the firm's regional offices
- Work with Other Practices
- The Associate may be required from time to time to work with other SBI practices (Small Business Finance, Microfinance, Housing Finance, Alternative Delivery Channels), for example on proposal development or financial modeling tasks
- At least 2 years experience as a transaction professional
- Excellent financial modeling skills (see below)
- Superior PowerPoint skills
- An appetite for the sometimes fast-moving and multi-tasking environment of a transaction team, including the willingness to put in potentially long hours around deadlines
- Ability to deliver consistently high levels of accuracy, efficiency and follow-through
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills
- Team orientation and motivation
- Strong initiative and ability to work independently
- High level of attention to detail and organization
- Ability to exercise independent judgment and proactively ask questions as needed
- Ability to take full ownership of assigned projects and deliver these without constant oversight
- Demonstrated interest in inclusive finance and/or related investment areas such as “base of the pyramid” products and services
- Experience working in a developing country or in an international development context
o Willingness to travel internationally on short-term assignments
- Ability to work in at least one non-English language of our overseas practice areas (e.g. French, Spanish, Russian, Arabic)
§ Financial Modeling:
- Excellent financial modeling skills including experience in the modeling of integrated financial statements and financial forecasts of financial institutions and corporates
- Experience in the review of financial models and analysis of financial statements
- Advanced and detailed modeling of funding structures and ability to independently translate the terms of a financial transaction into a financial model
- Performance of sensitivity analyses
- Adherence to financial modeling
Note on London Office Working Environment:
It should be noted that, although 3-4 SBI staff are usually located in London and the current office co-located with a similar business having several staff on-site, the nature of SBI’s business means that SBI colleagues will often be travelling or working remotely. It is therefore vital that candidates are good communicators and are comfortable working independently and/or under “virtual” supervision.