Our goal is to help create opportunities through education for some of the most vulnerable children in the world. We work directly with street children in their own environment towards reunificat...
Makeni, Sierra Leone
19 Mar 2014
Opportunity has expired
Volunteers to assist fundraising event in Sierra Leone needed.
Proactive, enthusiastic individuals needed to travel out to Sierra Leone for 2-3 weeks to help us as part of our dynamic and friendly team
Makeni, Sierra Leone
Applicants are required to hold the relevant Visas/Work Permits
To view this opportunity please sign back in or join
(it takes 10 seconds and might change your life!)
New to Escape?
Sign up for free
Already a member?
The Street Child of Sierra Leone Marathon 2014 is an ambitious project and we need your help to organise it. It’s more than just a run. We invite runners to join Street Child in Makeni, Sierra Leone to see and assist with the work we do in country, and to get involved with the local community. We need help in arranging a ‘once in a lifetime’ experience for all those who join us in May 2014 (including you!).
Dates are flexible, the marathon is Sunday 25th May so a 10 day trip could fly out around the 17th and return on 28th May 2014.
What kind of things might you end up doing?
- Delivering the Sierra Leone Marathon and build up events as part of the in-country team.
- Visiting projects and learning about the work of Street Child in country as well as documenting their progress.
- Working with members of the community such as the Sierra Leonean Red Cross to develop and deliver the marathon itself.
- Planning and setting up the Makeni Festival, a large gathering the whole town is invited to on the day before the marathon.
- Looking after groups of runners when they arrive and taking them to visit Street Child projects.
- Helping us to record and publicise the event by various means in country and for posterity.
- And... if you really want to run the marathon or half-marathon on race day, we would positively encourage it!
We would like motivated people to travel out to Sierra Leone for between 2 and 4 weeks to help us organise the 2014 Sierra Leone Marathon. We do ask that you fund your own trip but in return we will give you your own ‘experience of a lifetime’ seeing and assisting with Street Child projects in urban and rural Sierra Leone, taking part in a week of festivities in Makeni and you still get to finish on high joining our West African beach party and retreat!
Ask a question about this opportunity
Your question has been submitted successfully!
You will receive a notification when the question has been answered.