Teach For India
Teach For India
Teach For India is a nationwide movement of outstanding college graduates and young professionals who will commit two-years to teach full-time in under resourced schools and who will become lifelon...
10 Jan 2014
Opportunity has expired
Senior Director, City Operations
Support City Directors as they create and shape the vision for their cities to ensure that every child receives an excellent education
Applicants are required to hold the relevant Visas/Work Permits
To view this opportunity please sign back in or join
(it takes 10 seconds and might change your life!)
New to Escape?
Sign up for free
Already a member?
The Senior Director City Operations supports City Directors as they create and shape the vision for their cities and the long-term strategy that is required to ensure that every child attains an excellent education. The person is responsible for developing the leadership skills and investment of City Directors to maximize impact in the cities Teach For India operates in. This is through strong operations, support to Fellows and creating compelling opportunities and partnerships for Teach For India and its alumni. The Senior Director will also support City Directors ensure that they have the relationships, funding and networks to sustain and further the organisation’s impact.
The Senior Director will coach and support in the development of each City Director to continually improve Teach For India’s execution and support of all Fellows, children and Alumni.
The Senior Director must have a strong understanding of the role of the City Director. Each City Director is part of Teach For India’s leadership team and actively contributes to multiple cross team activities, events and opportunities. City Directors are responsible for:
- Creating a city vision that is aligned with the organisational vision
- Creating and maintaining a strong culture that imbibes all of Teach For India’s core values
- Building and maintaining relationships with key partners and stakeholders that facilitate or accelerate the impact that Teach For India has in the city. This includes school, government, corporate, not for profit and personal relationships with stakeholders
- Building strong relationships with placement schools and communities;
- Leveraging relationships to fully fund the City Operations costs
- Supporting their team to ensure that all members feel they have the skills and support to do their role well
- Maximising Fellow growth and development
- Working closely with all verticals
- To be a thought partner for City Directors especially in our newer cities as they develop and execute their strategies
- To create and maintain a strong culture among City Directors that imbibes all Teach For India core values and key messages in all teams
- To ensure that all City Directors feel they have the skills and support to do their role well, coaching and managing them to success
- To support and oversee the execution of specific teams strategies and progress towards goals in all Cities
- To drive change and compliance in City Operations with regards to best practices, systems and process improvements. This requires an up-to-date knowledge of best practices from internal and external sources
- To thought partner with and challenge the leadership team’s thinking and decision making to enrich the outcomes and impact of Teach For India
- To ensure that systems and processes are in place to equip Teach For India to scale effectively year on year without compromising quality
- Conduct assessment centres for new Fellows on four weekends a year
- Attend recruitment events (presentations, coffee chats, gatherings)
- Work closely with the Teach For India Board where relevant
- Continuously find high quality people to join the staff team and Fellowship
- Champion the continued professional development of Managers at Teach For India
- Be dynamic, flexible and highly adaptable to all situations and challenges that might arise and impact Teach For India
- If required, this role may also be involved in Teach For India’s expansion efforts
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Believe that all children and adults can achieve at high levels
- Exemplify Teach For India’s core values: sense of possibility, teamwork, excellence, integrity, resourcefulness, seva reflection and respect and humility. Carry themselves as a professional at all times, hold themselves and others to high expectations
- Communicate clearly and in an articulate fashion with outstanding verbal and written communication skills.
- Build relationships and influence others
- Possess very strong critical thinking and analytical skills
- Have the ability to create visions, strategic plans and long term approaches to complex problems
- Possess excellent team motivation skills
- Be a highly independent self starter
- Be an excellent problem solver
Education and Experience
Teach For India believes that reaching its vision demands that it has the best and brightest group of leaders working at Teach For India. Here are some minimum qualifications the organisation looks for:
- Postgraduate Degree and minimum 8 years of work experience preferred
- Management coaching experience is strongly preferred
- Experience managing large scale projects and large teams of people to successful outcomes
- Experience working with senior members of an organisation
Ask a question about this opportunity
Your question has been submitted successfully!
You will receive a notification when the question has been answered.