upReach improves access to professional employment for undergraduates from less-privileged backgrounds.
2 Apr 2014
Opportunity has expired
£23,000 per annum
Work with undergraduates from less-privileged backgrounds to realise their career potential and improve social mobility.
Applicants are required to hold the relevant Visas/Work Permits
£23,000 per annum
To view this opportunity please sign back in or join
(it takes 10 seconds and might change your life!)
New to Escape?
Sign up for free
Already a member?
upReach is an ambitious new non-profit that improves access to professional employment for undergraduates from less-privileged backgrounds.
upReach was founded by Henry Morris in March 2012 to bridge the gap between university and employment for undergraduates from less-privileged backgrounds. Henry is an Economics graduate from the University of Exeter with experience in education, banking, and startups.
This is an excellent opportunity for a corporate or teaching escapee to join an entrepreneurial non-profit at an early stage.
You will really help shape the direction of the organisation as well as, importantly, the futures of upReach Associates.
In this role, you'll deliver upReach's programme, working closely with undergraduates to realise their professional potential and improve social mobility.
We’re expanding and looking for someone who is passionate about improving social mobility and - IMPORTANTLY - someone who has an interest in working with 16-25 year olds to realise their potential.
As a Programme Coordinator, you’ll be working directly with Associates (undergraduate programme participants) from less-privileged backgrounds and providing tailored, needs-focused support.
You’ll play a key role in their journey to accessing fulfilling professional employment and you’ll also work closely with colleagues to develop the resources for programme delivery.
There are four components to the role:
- Individual and small group work with Associates
- Developing and delivering workshops
- Programme coordination
- Selection of Associates
(* = essential)
We're looking for someone who's passionate about upReach’s mission, improving social mobility, and widening access to professional employment.
In addition, it's essential that you're able to empathise with, and understand and clearly communicate the specific needs of undergraduates from less-privileged backgrounds.
- At least one year of professional experience*
- Working in a fast-paced environment, making decisions, and overcoming problems without supervision *
- Writing and delivering workshops, seminars, lessons, or interactive presentations*
- Working with 16 – 25 year olds on an individual or small group basis
- Applying, or supporting others to apply, to graduate level jobs
- Working in partnership with employers or in corporate environments
- Working in a start-up or newly established organisation
Education / Qualiﬁcations:
- University degree (2:2 or higher) in any discipline, or equivalent experience*
Knowledge and Skills:
- High level of written English and attention to detail*
- Able to apply knowledge of graduate career pathways to empower undergraduates to identify the steps required to achieve career aims*
- Understanding of how social background can affect graduate employability*
- Ability to empathise and understand the specific needs of undergraduates from less-privileged backgrounds*
- Able to devise and deliver imaginative and engaging workshops and 1-to-1 sessions*
- Self-motivation and an ability to work in a small team as well as independently
- Able to engage and communicate confidently with undergraduates and employers via phone, email, and in person*
- Knowledge of widening participation (WP) and universities’ access work
Overnight Stays & Workshop Days
You should be willing to stay overnight outside London for approximately ten nights per term in university cities. Also, you should also be able to deliver workshops on a number of Saturdays each year. All expenses for campus visits will be covered by upReach and time off in lieu will be awarded for Saturdays worked.
Right to Work in the UKUnfortunately, we cannot support visa applications so you must have the right to work in the UK permanently.
Ask a question about this opportunity
Your question has been submitted successfully!
You will receive a notification when the question has been answered.
Applying via "Express your Interest"
The new, simpler, more efficient way to kick off the application process!
1. Complete your Escape Profile
You need a complete
to express your interest.
2. Express your interest
Once you are happy with
your Escape Profile
express your interest.
3. Get an outcome
Get a response within 30 days.
If succesful the employer will
send you the next steps.