Through secure livelihoods, VSO aims to ensure that the poor and marginalised people are able to access their right to a sustainable livelihood. VSO Uganda is currently developing a business plan with partners to develop a light engineering factory in northern Uganda that will seek to provide employment opportunities for youth benefitting from our livelihoods programmes and also contribute to the economic development of northern Uganda.
As the enterprise specialist you will undertake market assessment of light engineering products and agri-services in northern Uganda as part of VSO’s wider secure livelihoods programme development work including:
- Identifying appropriate sectors, products and markets that are suitable to the skills base of our target beneficiaries (youth who have received vocational training).
- To identify and look at ways for overcoming the barriers and market failures preventing the target group from accessing value chains or gaining a greater share to them.
- To validate the research findings and proposed interventions with key stakeholders and produce a full written report, and to input into the development of the business plan for the factor.
- To document the tools and processes used and train selected programme and partner staff on how to carry out market assessments.
- A relevant degree in the field of Business Administration, Financial management or other related degree;
- Minimum of 10 years working experience in enterprise/business development including the development of strategic plans, feasibility studies and business plans
- Prior experience in developing counties is desirable, and ability to ride or willingness to learn to ride a motorbike would be useful although not essential
- You will need to work with minimum supervision, be able to explain complex ideas and have a high level of cultural sensitivity.
- During your 10 week placement you’ll be based at the office in Gulu.
- In return, we’ll give you comprehensive financial, personal and professional support.
- We’ll provide you with extensive training before your placement, and our financial package includes a local living allowance, return flights, accommodation, insurance and more.
- When you return to your home country, we'll support you to resettle.