To develop the youth service provision on St Helena, working with existing organisations and widening the range of activities and experience available. To develop an internationally recognised volunteer and peer mentoring qualification for young people and enhance the qualifications and training available to youth workers. To develop a media/performing arts programme within the youth provision, extending the offer available on the island. To develop the youth service on St Helena through action learning and training in partnership with existing organisations
It is essential that you have a media / performing arts qualification or experience, and you will ideally have a JNC recognised qualification in youth work, with qualified Youth Worker status. You should have at least 5 years demonstrable experience of developing youth work provision, preferably in the UK or a transitional or similar economy. You must have a CRB certificate to permit working with children.
You will also need:
- Strong facilitation and mentoring skills.
- Experience of developing an arts or media based youth provision
- Knowledge and experience of developing volunteer and peer mentoring programmes with young people, preferably leading to recognised qualifications.
- Demonstrated aptitude, to live in a remote and isolated community.
- Ability to work well within a team and on own initiative
- Experience of enabling young people who display levels of anti-social behaviour to make positive changes in their lives.
- A current driving licence.
- Basic understanding of and ability to use Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
The following would be advantageous:
- Previous experience of living and working in another culture.
- A confident and articulate individual able to communicate effectively with young people, their friends and family members, other workers and members of the wider community.
- Flexibility over hours of work (the post holder will be expected to work 4 evenings each week and some weekends throughout the year).
- Integrity; enthusiasm, creativity and flair; ability to work under pressure; a self starer.
And the rest...
You will be based on the island of St. Helena. We’ll ask you to commit to at least 24 months to make a sustainable contribution to our development goals. In return, we’ll provide you with extensive training before your placement, and our financial package includes a local living allowance, return flights, accommodation, insurance and more. When you return to your home country, we'll support you to resettle.