Consistently recommended by staff as one of the "Most desired organizations to work for" and recognized in the 2012 Global Go To Think Tanks Rankings as #1 Think Tank in two very important categories (1) Environmental Think Tanks and (2) Energy and Resource Think Tanks, WORLD RESOURCES INSTITUTE (WRI) has 30+ years of experience focuses on the intersection of the environment and socio-economic development. We go beyond research to put ideas into action, working globally with governments, business, and civil society to build transformative solutions that protect the earth and improve people’s lives.
WRI is very pleased to share a unique and invigorating opportunity to lead WRI India' an independent charitable trust legally registered in India as the India Resources Trust! WRI India (an independent charitable trust legally registered in India as the India Resources Trust) provides objective information and practical proposals for policy and institutional change that will foster environmentally sound, socially equitable development. World Resources Institute (WRI), a nonprofit corporation is a global environmental and development organization with a similar mission. The India Resources Trust has licensed the use of the trademark ‘WRI India’ from WRI.
WRI India was established to move human society to live in ways that protect and preserve Earth’s environment and its capacity to provide for the needs and aspirations of current and future generations, seeks a Managing Director to lead its interests across India. The Managing Director (MD) will serve as the chief representative of WRI India and He/She will report to the India Resources Trust Board.Responsibilities:
- Formation and implementation of WRI India’s vision and strategy in India.
- Build and lead a competent and effective India team.
- Develop and leverage critical networking relationships to establish a strong presence in India.
- Raise funds for India operations.
- Maintain highest standards of quality and excellence for all programs and content
- A visionary leader with conceptual clarity; who can build and lead an organization, while also acting as a important member of a worldwide network. A dynamic and articulate professional who can assess Indian needs, and translate them into executable programs/projects. Externally, he/she is the face of WRI India, with the credibility and versatility to network and influence at the government institutions level, with business leaders and with civil society. A strategic mindset and a passion/knowledge for sustainable development are essential.
- Internally, he/she will ensure smooth running of programs. He/she is a people person that can inspire and develops staff. He/she is an excellent communicator within the organization at all levels, across cultures. He/she needs to have sound financial understanding and business acumen.
- He/she should meet the following criteria:
- An experienced leader, 15+ years of work experience with at least 5 years in management, with a successful track record of leading organizations and building teams in a multi-cultural environment.
- A strategic mindset, capable of providing a compelling vision and strategy. Demonstrated experience of strategic planning and project execution.
- A good relationship builder who inspires trust, with the confidence and stature to engage at senior levels of government, government institutions, NGO’s, and academic institutions. Demonstrate ability to cultivate such relationships for WRI India’s growth in India.
- Possesses a depth of knowledge and experience in India. Successful track record of engaging with international organizations and Indian government and institutions (e.g. academic and NGO’s).
- Extensive knowledge/appreciation for environment- and sustainable development-related issues.
- An effective team builder and leader. Able to lead, manage, empower and motivate a diverse team.
- A passion for people. Able to retain and develop organization’s talent pool for sustained success of the Trust.
- Excellent writing, speaking, editing and presentation skills. Demonstrates influencing skills at all levels of interaction
- Willingness to travel internationally.
- Fluent in spoken & written English and at least one Indian language
- Holds a valid Indian Passport