Escape Membership FAQsAll your questions should be answered here.
More questions? Call us on +44 (0) 208 064 0685 or e-mail email@example.com
Who are Escape memberships for?
Escape memberships are suitable for you if:
- You’re ready to invest time and energy into learning, connecting and building your 21st-century career
- You are open to implementing new approaches to job seeking (by doing it rather than planning and talking about it)
- You are willing to share your goals with a group of like-minded professionals
- You want to meet and support others who are on a similar career journey
- You have the time and motivation to move through a self-paced learning journey
- You have a clear sense of the career direction you are moving in
- You understand that this process is hard and it will take time and involve some setbacks along the way
- You are prepared to work hard to access new opportunities
- You’re looking for more bespoke monthly support
Escape memberships might not be suitable for you if…
- You are looking to start a business (see our Startup Accelerator for support for new founders)
- You are unsure of which direction your career is heading in (see our Career Change programme if this sounds like you)
- You’re looking for a guarantee that this will be quick and easy route to getting your dream job
- You’re looking for a career built on external symbols of success rather than finding ways to do work that is meaningful and fulfilling to you
How does it work?
Escape memberships have been designed with the following principles in mind:
- There are no shortcuts or hacks. Just action. Embrace new concepts from mentors and employers. Then implement them. Rejection and failure are part of the job-seeking process. There is no easy way to build a 21st-century career, but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try.
- This is a forum of collaboration: We are here to learn through each other’s collective successes and challenges. We all have a part to play in illuminating the way for others.
- You’re responsible for how you show up: This is a self-paced interactive learning platform to empower talented professionals to get noticed and get the opportunities they want. We’re in it together, but no one else can do it for you.
What outcomes can I expect?
This is a membership about building your 21st century career. What that looks like will be different for each individual. But by following and implementing the self paced online learning modules and connecting with others in the group, you will be able to:
- Clearly articulate the opportunities you are looking for, and have an idea of where to find them
- Be able to read between the lines of job descriptions and understand an organisation’s needs
- Map different pathways to building your 21st century career
- Understand how successful 21st century careerists create opportunities on their own terms
- Demonstrate your value by crafting an impactful CV, and managing your online profile
- Adopt new application techniques that allow you to effectively audition for the roles you want
- Know how to tell your story at interview
- Learn methods and tools to build authentic relationships and enriching connections
- Be able to articulate and negotiate confidently based on your skills and experience
- Deal with rejection and disappointment in a positive way
- Have on-going long term support on your career journey
In terms of your career, you may:
- Line up interviews for new roles
- Successfully secure a new job by implementing techniques learned through your Escape membership to stand out from the crowd
- Adopt new techniques to implement in the future when you see relevant opportunities
- Negotiate with new employers by effectively communicating your value and expertise
- Understand gaps in your existing experience that may be holding you back from getting noticed
- Make valuable new connections with peers, mentors and employers that will help you create opportunities for yourself
Job seeking is hard and takes time. Most frustratingly, it depends on lots of other factors that are often outside of your control. You may need to submit a number of applications before you stand out. The reality is that when it comes to job seeking, there are no guarantees. Most of the time it takes a healthy dose of rejection and lots of persistence and dedication. What matters – if you’re building a 21st century career – is that you keep auditioning for the roles you want (even if you’re faced with rejection). Every experience will teach you something new, and being a part of a community like this one will allow you to share what you’ve learnt and learn from others too.
What does an Escape membership include?
There are two levels of Escape membership: Shift and Coach.
Shift memberships include:
- Self-paced training: A set of online training modules run by Escape experts on how to get noticed.
- Peers: Share your experiences, learn from others. Connect directly with likeminded people building their careers. The job seeker training is just the start…
- Mentors and masterclasses: Live virtual monthly masterclasses from employers and mentors.
- Opportunities: Personalised emails that include all the opportunities you might be interested in, delivered every week
- Knowledge base: Advice, tips, tools and lessons on CVs, applications and every job seeking topic. Created by employers, mentors and peers.
- Escape power hours: Virtual accountability at its best.
Memberships are billed every 3 months to help you build momentum.
Escape pilot memberships for founding members will only be 1 month long.
Escape Coach memberships include all of the above, plus bespoke 1-to-1 monthly coaching with Escape coaches and experts on all of the aspects of job seeking.
What's the difference between Shift and Coach levels of membership?
Coach memberships include all of the same elements as a Shift membership, plus bespoke 1-to-1 monthly coaching with Escape coaches and experts on all of the aspects of job seeking. Coach members will be able to book coaching through the members platform.
How do I join?
To join as an Escape member, you just need to fill in a short application form and follow the instructions to set up your subscription. We will review your application and let you know within 2 days if this has been accepted. Once your application has been accepted, you will be notified via email and your membership will be activated.
Can I access the sessions around a full time job?
The learning element of the membership will be completely self-paced. For the pilot 1 month membership we will be running live sessions, which you can join at the time, or catch up on later. You will then be able to access the materials and course content whenever suits you.
We will also be running live sessions each week to answer your questions. These sessions and the masterclasses will also be recorded, so you can either join live or catch up afterwards.
You’ll also be able to access all of the historical masterclasses in the growing masterclass library.
How will I know when live sessions are taking place?
When you sign up, you’ll gain access to the members’ platform. Here you’ll be able to access all the online learning materials, connect with other members and download a full schedule of masterclasses and live sessions. You can also set up reminders so we’ll email you before each live session takes place.
What if I can't make the live sessions?
All of the live course sessions and masterclasses are recorded so you can watch them later. We will run live ‘seminar’ sessions every week, so if you can’t make one of the live sessions, you can always come along to a later one. It’s important to us that there are plenty of opportunities for members to ask questions and receive live feedback.
How do I access 1-to-1 coaching?
If you’re looking for 1-to-1 coaching in addition to the online learning and community, then the Coach membership might be better for you. Each month you will be issued a coaching credit for a 45 minute virtual session with one of our expert coaches. You’ll be able to book in time with the coach directly from within the platform, select from a number of job-seeking topics and provide more information on what you would like to discuss.
Your coach will then call you at the agreed time. Any resources or suggested actions and follow up will be shared with you.
Can I reschedule or rollover my 1-to-1 coaching session?
If you’re a Coach member and you need to change a booked coaching session, please give your coach at least 24 hours notice before the scheduled session. This is to give our coaches enough notice, and to provide other Coach members with a chance to book into the available session slot.
In extenuating circumstances, we may allow you to rebook your session, but otherwise, late cancellations, missed or unused sessions are non-transferrable and cannot be refunded or rolled over to another month.
Can I only join at certain times of the year?
The online learning elements of Escape memberships are completely self-paced, so you can start your membership whenever you like. However for the pilot 1 month membership, we will only be accepting a limited number of founding members before 18th May 2020. Founding members will trial the membership for a 4 week period, before being invited to share feedback with us. We will then implement any suggested improvements and re-open the membership later in the summer.
We record all live sessions with mentors and coaches, so you will even have access to sessions that took place before your membership began in our growing masterclass library.
What is the likely demographic?
As these are brand new memberships for Escape, we’ll be building up a clearer picture of a Shift and Coach members as we go. However, we expect it will not be hugely different to the typical Escape workshop or programme attendee. Ambitious, talented professionals who are looking to build careers with purpose that fit in with their lives.
As with our Accelerator programmes, we expect there to be plenty of diversity of experience and perspective, which is always a good thing.
Most excitingly, we know that an online learning platform and community means talented people from all over the UK and further afield can take part. This is something that the Escape team has been building towards for a long time and we are incredibly excited to ‘meet’ and hear from members of our community who have previously not been able to join us for our London based events and courses.
Is it just for people in the UK?
The course material is not specific to the UK job market so Shift and a Coach memberships are suitable for job seekers all over the world.
The only thing to bear in mind if you are based overseas is the schedule for live sessions. Times will always be listed as GMT so please remember to factor in the time difference to wherever you are based.
If you are unable to make live sessions, then you can access the recorded sessions and masterclasses, similarly to those who miss live sessions in the UK.
If you are based overseas but interested in a Coach membership, please tell us in your application form. Our coaches are all based in the UK so there will be some limitations as to when we can schedule these in.
Is it just for people who are looking for a new job?
Escape memberships are suitable for anyone building their 21st century career. An Escape membership offers a substantial amount of online support for job seekers, but even after you have secured your next opportunity, there is still lots of value to give and take from the community. In addition we will have monthly masterclasses from mentors and employers, that allows members to continuously upskil themselves and build their career fitness.
What if I don’t know exactly what I’m looking for?
If you’re not sure what a good opportunity looks like for you, then you might be more suited to the Career Change Accelerator. The purpose of this programme is to help you identify your next career direction and start moving forwards.
Whilst a Shift or Coach level of membership would certainly help you to get noticed by new types of employer, you are likely to find it harder to identify which opportunities you wish to apply for without a clear sense of direction.
The 12-week Career Change Accelerator is a part-time programme that allows ambitious professionals to reinvent your career and find direction. You can find out more about it here.
What if I think I want to start a business?
If you are ready to start a business in the near future, then our Startup Accelerator may be a better fit for you. This 12-week programme fits around a full-time job and takes you through the startup process from idea to launch phase. (You’ll actually build and launch a first version of your business on the programme).
However an Escape Membership is designed to support you in building your 21st-century career and create new employment for yourself – this can include self-employment. It may well be that your journey to entrepreneurship starts with a membership and ends with you building a freelance career, or a one-person practice.
Is it just for people starting out in their careers?
An Escape membership will help you stand out, and start auditioning for the roles that you want. The great thing about this is that the principles are universally applicable. You might be early on in your career or 10+ years in, but the tools and concepts you need to get noticed by 21st century employers are the same.
The great thing is, we know what these employers are looking for because they tell us. We’ve built all of that into a self-paced jobseekers course, and we’ll also be hearing from mentors and employers in monthly masterclasses.
Managing your Subscription
What subscriptions do you offer?
We offer two levels of Escape membership: Shift and Coach.
A Shift level membership gives you full access to the online community of ambitious jobseekers, as well as self-paced online learning, and monthly masterclasses with employers and mentors. The cost for this membership is £29/month, billed every 3 months.
Coach memberships includes all of the above, plus a monthly 45-minute coaching session with one of our career experts. This membership is £149/month, billed in 3 month cycles.
To help you build momentum, memberships will be billed in 3 month cycles.
For Founding Members on the pilot memberhip, you will be signed up for a 1 month period. After this time you will be invited to provide feedback and confirm if you would like your membership to continue.
What are my payment options?
To set up your subscription, you’ll just need to enter your card account details at the end of the membership application form.
Once your membership has been accepted, we’ll activate your subscription and confirm via email.
What is the minimum subscription term?
To help you build momentum and adopt new approaches and frameworks, the minimum subscription term for members is 3 months. After this point you will be billed every 3 months.
However for Founding Members, we will be running a 1 month pilot and asking for feedback before we open more membership places. Founding members will have the option to end their subscription after the pilot.
How do I renew my membership?
Founding members will be invited to share feedback after the 1 month pilot, and to confirm if they would like to renew their subscription.
For all other members:
After the first three month signup period, you don’t have to do anything to renew your subscription. Your membership will automatically renew on a monthly recurring basis. Please see our cancellation terms to ensure you allow 7 days notice if you wish to cancel your membership.
How do I cancel my membership?
Founding memberships are non-refundable for the 1 month pilot.
If you wish to cancel your membership, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. We will process and confirm cancellations within 24 hours from Monday – Friday. If you email us over the weekend or a bank holiday, we will process your cancellation on the next business day.
For all members, we need at least 7 days’ notice from your subscription renewal date to cancel your subscription. Cancellation requests sent less than 7 days before your subscription renewal date will still be processed, but your account will remain active until the next billing cycle (3 months) and the subscription fee will be charged.
What is your refund policy?
Your membership fees go towards supporting the growing community and helping build a platform to help jobseekers build their 21st century careers. For this reason fees are non-refundable.
We strongly encourage you not to commit to a membership if you don’t think you’ll be able to take part in the online learning and community. Please make sure your intention is to fully engage if you do apply.
What happens to my data?
Can I upgrade my membership?
You can upgrade to a Shift or Coach membership at any time. If you wish to do this, please email email@example.com and we will come back to you within 3 working days.
How do I get the most out of my membership?
Being an Escape member is as much about contribution as it is about learning. The online course will help you change your approach, but where we can really support each other is through our shared challenges and successes.
We encourage all of our members to take an active role in helping their peers by answering questions and sharing their experiences. This is a forum of collaboration.
A membership is not a guarantee of success, but it will help you stand out to 21st century employers.
Why do I need to apply?
We aren’t judging your quality as a person, your skills, experience or CV, but just simply figuring out whether this membership is a good fit for you. We want to make sure that the people who join are people who we can really help.
If we don’t feel that this is the suitable experience for you, we would rather tell you than enrol you into something that does not work for you. If this is the case, we will perhaps suggest other suitable Escape the City products or external resources that might be more appropriate for you.
How does the application process work?
Step 1 – Online Application
You apply by completing our short application form which will also ask you to set up your subscription. Immediately after applying you’ll receive a confirmation email.
Step 2 – Application Review & Membership Activation
We’ll review your application within 24 hrs (Mon – Fri). You will receive an email granting you access to the members campus. This will be followed by instructions on how to set yourself up to get the most out of your membership.
How many founding members are you accepting?
As this is a pilot membership, we are limiting the founding membership to under 200 spaces. We feel that this provides founding members with a meaningful community to start connecting with, whilst also providing us with a good test base of users to extract valuable feedback.