At Alvéole, we install urban beehives while educating thousands of businesses, organizations, schools, and families about bees and beekeeping along the way.
Ultimately, we want to make people fond of bees, which in turn will lead to them falling in love with nature and building awareness about the impact that each and every one of us can have in preserving our environment. We’re a B Corp founded in 2013 and active in Canada, the United States and Europe.
What's in it for You?
- A team environment that encourages initiatives and leadership
- Fun activities with your teammates - be part of the Alvéole family
- Work with highly talented people who are as passionate about their work as you are
Equity, diversity and inclusion
Much like the way a beehive comes together to achieve its goals, we believe that the diverse skills, personalities, backgrounds and past experiences of every Alvéole team member are key components to our growth, wellbeing, and shared goal of making people fall in love with bees.
We have the privilege to serve unique cities and are dedicated to developing a workforce that reflects the spaces in which we live and work. As such, we encourage applications from persons of diverse backgrounds. We are committed to creating a place where all feel included, and recognize that this is a work in progress.
Reporting to the Beekeeping Team Regional Manager, the Beekeeping Team Manager manages
the beekeeping team and operations for their city/district. This position would be based in Amsterdam, with regular travel required to London and Brussels.
This is a full-time, permanent position in accordance with Alvéole’s current policies.
Start date: January 31st, 2022
Role and responsibilities
- Manage a team of about 6+ beekeepers, and 1 lead beekeeper.
- Hire, manage, train, and support new and existing beekeepers.
- Hire, train and manage a team of 3+ seasonal staff for the honey harvest period.
- Hire, train and manage a team of seasonal staff for honey extraction period, if applicable.
- Coach and guide the team to grow and develop professionally.
- Support Lead Beekeeper in overseeing beekeeping operations, including rooftop installation of new hives, swarm prevention, routine maintenance schedules, pest and parasite control, and seasonal honey extraction.
- Implement standard operating procedures to ensure quality service, practices, and client experience.
- Help the beekeeping team manage accounts and build relationships with businesses, schools, and other organizations through in-person and online communication tools.
- Oversee the ongoing strategy for city growth and development.
- Propose beekeeping projects to potential new clients with the help of Alvéole’s sales team.
- Manage inventory and maintenance of warehouse facilities, operating vehicles, beekeeping equipment, and supplies.
- Travel to all cities within the district each month and/or based on need, if applicable.
- Plan travel for Lead Beekeeper to all cities within the district each month and/or based on need, if applicable.
- Participate in workgroups, and collaborate with other Beekeeping Team Managers to develop tools and processes related to training and operations of the city.
- Handle miscellaneous duties, clerical tasks and responsibilities as defined by management.
- Ability to exercise active listening, empathy, and resolve conflict efficiently.
- Results-driven, goal-oriented and autonomous.
- Resourceful with a demonstrated ability to anticipate change and proactively adjust priorities and strategies accordingly.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Comfortable to coach and lead teams with different experience levels and job realities.
- Minimum 1 year of management experience; additional experience is an asset.
- Degree in business, management or related fields is an asset.
- Fluency in English and competency in French and Dutch.
- Participation in a 10-day training program in Montreal (if permitted by local health regulations).
- Participation in a multi-day beekeeping training program in California, Manitoba or Paris (if permitted by local health regulations).
- Strong interpersonal, teamwork and autonomous working skills.
- Knowledge of Mac (Apple) systems and Google tools.
- Comfortable with the reality of beekeeping hazards (stings, heavy lifting).
- Commitment to learning the principles of beekeeping through company training
- and personal initiative.
- Comfortable working at heights.
- Valid driver’s license with good driving record