Tillit’s mission is to empower everyone to invest with confidence, conviction & ease in the best funds across borders.
At Tillit we believe that long-term investment success lies in funds. But the user experience of investing in funds is poor, outdated and dull. We are on a mission to change that by building Tillit - a world-class, device-agnostic investment platform focused on offering what we believe to be best-in-class funds to personal investors. Through storytelling and transparency, we are empowering people to make better long-term investment decisions.
Tillit means ‘trust’ in Swedish. Trust is fundamental to what we do and it underpins everything from our culture to the relationships we hope to build with our customers. By creating an outstanding product, providing helpful content in plain English, and offering an excellent customer experience, we seek to earn that trust from our customers.
We are a well-funded start-up, having completed a £3.6m ($4.8m) seed funding round in December 2021, led by industry veterans. The company was built during the COVID-19 pandemic and the platform was launched into private beta in May 2021. After six months of beta testing, we launched to the public in November 2021.
The focus for 2022 is on evolving the fund discovery process, deepening the customer experience through content and new features, and expanding the product range. We will also be developing internal tools and automating operational processes so that we can deliver a scalable, secure, market-leading investing experience.
Our tech stack
You may not be using all of these every day, but these are some of the technologies and platforms we are using and that you’ll need to know already or want to learn:
We are looking for an enthusiastic Lead Front-End Developer to join our team and help take the platform to the next level. Working directly with the founding team, this is an opportunity to play a key role in the direction of the platform.
A successful candidate will have deep experience of architecting and building complex React applications as well as a track-record of technical team management and mentoring. Note that line management is not a requirement of this position - we are looking for a technical leader who can take on a multidisciplinary team’s technical development and instil best-practices throughout the front-end side of engineering.
More than anything though, your focus will be to delight customers and to build a platform where investors feel supported, safe, and able to make informed investment decisions.
- Directing and contributing to the implementation of the Tillit front-end with a multidisciplinary team of other full-stack and front-end developers and designers.
- Delivering production-grade code and experiences from day 1 that will delight customers, mostly from existing high-fidelity designs but sometimes filling in the gaps yourself.
- Owning the front-end architecture and development approach in line with best practices, ensuring we reduce technical debt and steer ourselves towards sustainable and scalable front-end development.
- Implementing more and better automated testing of the Tillit front-end application, especially regression and E2E integration testing.
- Leading GraphQL schema design and proposing and leading evolutionary changes to our front-end data model.
- Up-skilling the rest of the front-end development team, both in terms of technology and procedures.
- We don’t intend this role to have line management responsibilities, though there is scope for it to evolve in that direction in future for interested candidates.
What we offer:
- Position: Lead Software developer – Frontend
- Seniority: Senior
- Employment type: Permanent, Full-time
- Location: We operate a hybrid model and it’s up to you how you want to split your time between the office (London or Edinburgh) and working from home.
- Compensation: £75,000- £90,000pa (+ 10% for London-based applicants)
- Equity: Stock options giving you a chance to own a part of the company
- Pension: 5% employer contribution
- Holiday entitlement: 25 days + flexible bank holidays
- Personal development: Self-directed, accumulating, learning budget of £500 pa (disbursed quarterly) + MasterClass membership
- Product discount: Discounted Tillit platform fee of 0.25% pa
- You’re keen to work across a wide range of features using the latest technologies, and willing to take responsibility for yours and your team’s implementation of them.
- You’re able to see the big picture, setting architectural and technical goals that are months away and working towards them methodically.
- You’re still able to get into the nitty-gritty, and educate yourself and your team through peer reviews and knowledge sharing.
- You’ve a keen eye for detail, and notice and care when design and implementation differ.
- You take a positive, optimistic approach to new ideas whomever they come from - and keep pushing them further, instead of shutting them down.
- You’re interested in finance and financial education.
- You’re comfortable working in a small team that deals with ambiguity and quick turnarounds.
- You are proactive and a problem solver.
- You’re ambitious, enthusiastic and have a fierce customer focus.
- Strong written and spoken English.
- Demonstrable lead developer experience, architecting and delivering complex React applications with a team of developers in an agile environment.
- Experience working in a multidisciplinary team is a strong plus, especially with dedicated designers.
- Solid TypeScript experience and a willingness to share it.
- Exposure to and experience of testing single-page applications at different levels (unit and integration, DOM and visual snapshotting).
- Track record of mentoring and up-skilling other, often experienced developers in React and general front-end development best practices.
- Proven ability to decompose complex front-end user requirements into iteratively-deliverable chunks of work, seeing them through to production.
Nice to have:
- Experience in finance or any numerically-focused domain is a plus, but not required. If you can point to examples of your work that distil a complex domain into an empowering user experience then we want to hear from you, no matter your background.
- GraphQL experience (especially schema stitching, evolution and management) is a strong plus, but not a requirement.
Please note that for this role we can only consider UK residents with the right to work in the UK.
This is a unique opportunity to join an exciting FinTech with a growing team where you can play a key part in shaping the future of how people invest. If this gets you excited and you think you’ve got what it takes, then we would love to hear from you!