Business Development Manager - Climate Change & Sustainability Start-up
We are an ambitious start-up focused on tackling climate change by creating inspiring training content for corporates and other organisations. At this exciting stage of our company’s growth we are seeking a Business Development Manager to help fast-track growth and impact.
We at MakeTomorrow imagine a world where every person in every company is given foundational training on the impact of climate change, and the tools to enact positive change within their business.
Transforming business is key in our journey towards a net zero, resilient and regenerative world. And employees want to know what they can do to contribute. A 2020 survey of UK employees found that 63% want to learn more sustainability-related skills to become more valuable in the workplace (Unily, 2020).
Our compact online offerings support climate action within organisations by upskilling employees on the foundations of climate science, key trends in climate solutions and the role of business in driving change. Training increases staff awareness, builds confidence and unleashes internal innovation.
We have a four-hour and a one-hour core digital training product, keeping demands on employee time to a minimum. Combined with bespoke development for clients, this scalable and flexible offering can be delivered to thousands of employees at a time.
As companies work to decarbonise and reduce their environmental impact through engagement with suppliers, customers and new business models, we want to become the go-to training provider equipping staff with the knowledge, skills and confidence needed to implement these changes.
We also plan to set up a non-profit to provide training for organisations that are unable to afford market rates. We are a small team working remotely from London.
We are looking for an experienced Business Development Manager to drive outreach to companies and secure deals to deliver training.
You are a driven implementor who loves getting stuck into whatever is necessary to create tangible results. You are ambitious, passionate and strategic, and care deeply about climate change.
About the role:
Business Development & Sales:
- Input into our go-to-market strategy
- Quickly build our outbound sales pipeline. Create a database of high-quality leads, identifying the right person within an organisation to approach
- Self-generate, qualify and nurture prospects from first conversation to client acquisition (including business development meetings, demos and scoping workshops to understand client needs)
- Work collaboratively with the leadership team to plan and deliver sales strategy, metrics and reporting
- Develop quotes and proposals
- Meet monthly / quarterly sales targets
- Help set-up a CRM system, along with any other systems or processes needed to streamline our sales pipeline and customer journey
- Some account management may be required
Partner / channel ecosystem:
- Understand the ecosystem of organisations working in the corporate climate space and identify / prioritise those with whom we should partner, building long-term trusted relationships
- Build a commercial case for collaboration, and develop and present pitches showing the benefits of working together
- You have minimum of 5 years experience in: Business development, sales, partnership development, growth in a start-up or business
- You have a track record of developing and implementing B2B sales strategies and achieving or exceeding targets
- You have a solid existing network of UK-based corporate contacts
- Ideally you have experience in B2B executive education
- Geographically, you have experience selling to UK and EU companies
- You are able to negotiate contractual terms with client legal teams
- You are an effective communicator and are at ease presenting to senior-level stakeholders.
- You are skilled at creating compelling decks and proposals
- You are skilled at developing partnerships that deliver value to all involved
- You are passionate about climate change and the responsible business agenda, and care deeply about building a more sustainable, resilient and equitable planet. You are excited by the opportunity to drive climate action through corporate learning and development
- You are entrepreneurial, comfortable with start-up life and are happy to get involved in whatever needs doing to move the company forward.
- You are resourceful and independent
- Advantageous: Knowledge of the climate / corporate sustainability space
How to apply: Please send a cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put ‘BDM Application’ in the subject line. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
Location: Remote but must be UK-based and able to occasionally attend client workshops and meetings. Unfortunately we don’t offer sponsorship for international candidates.
Commitment: full-time (4-5 days per week)
Remuneration: £50k - £80k OTE (depending on experience)
Application Deadline: We will be reviewing applications and offering interviews on a rolling basis – early applications are advised. Applications close 30 November 2021.