Breakthrough is a social enterprise that trains and selects exceptional prison leavers and provides them with expert training, to bring diverse, inspiring talent to businesses through our fully-supported apprenticeships. We transform lives and communities through the impact we have on the individuals and businesses we work with and through reducing reoffending. We run two main programmes: a pre-apprenticeship course in prison and the community followed by digital apprenticeships. The objective of the pre-apprenticeship programme is to get our Associates ready and excited for the world of work and to develop the soft skills that all careers value alongside the specific technical skills that are required for the apprenticeship. The programme is also an opportunity for our employers to get to know the students better and kick off the recruitment process.
We are in a rapid growth phase. As a team, we are ambitious and driven. We are just as passionate about our people as the social impact we aim to have. We invest in learning and development and are flexible around responsibilities to suit an individual’s growth plan. We want someone to grow with us.
The role: Community Lead
We are looking for someone who has experience of the criminal justice system to provide expert insights and to lead our community of Associates (the people who go through our programme). The key to this role is to ensure the voice of the people we work with shines through in everything we do. The role is based in Finsbury Park, London.
Breakthrough is a dynamic organisation where we support everyone to build their areas of expertise and interest. Therefore, we keep the hierarchy as flat as possible. As a growing organisation, we will flex some elements of this depending on who we secure for the role.
- Collaborate with the Programme Lead to ensure the programmes are designed and tested with our students’ perspective
- Lead in-classroom sessions with the students to co-facilitate personal development sessions
- Recruit the best candidates for the programme, attracting people that traditionally are hard to reach
- Mentor the apprentices on the post-release programme to support them to remove barriers and excel in their career
- Build a community of our students and apprentices to enable peer-to-peer learning and collaboration
- Support employers’ events around diversity and inclusion, focused on prison leavers