About Be the Business
Led by Sir Charlie Mayfield Be the Business was launched in November 2017 with funding and support from the UK government and some of Britain’s leading companies. Be the Business exists to create a dynamic and competitive economy driven by higher levels of productivity. We work with the entire business community to learn from each other and to try new approaches to improve their productivity.
- Adoption of technology and improved leadership and management practices are proven drivers of productivity. These areas are where we focus.
- Our target market is small and mid-sized businesses (up to 250 employees). They account for two-thirds of all jobs in the UK but disproportionally are not as productive as they could be.
More details about Be the Business can be found on our website.
Overview of the role
Be The Business is looking for a Data Lead to drive the growth and development of its data team, a key element of its strategy to address the UK’s productivity challenge. The successful candidate will lead the ongoing development and delivery of the organisation’s data strategy which aims to leverage data to build and facilitate individualized support journeys for a million small and medium sized business leaders.
Coming into a small team with a big vision, you'll lead our work to become the leaders in understanding the needs, behaviours, and preferences of small business leaders, and developing tailored offerings to support them.
You’ll work closely with our programme teams on how best to gather valuable data from our digital and in-person programmes; feed into the ongoing development of our digital products; oversee the ongoing development of our data infrastructure; and work with our wide array of partners to explore how we can leverage their resources and datasets to drive rapid progress. This is a critical role which will sit right at the heart of Be the Business’s work moving forward.
- Lead the ongoing development of Be the Business’s data strategy, exploring how we can best leverage data to better understand the needs and behaviour of UK business leaders, and to inform the ongoing development of our services
- Develop and oversee enhanced internal reporting processes supported by standardised dashboards
- Oversee the ongoing development of Be the Business’s data infrastructure in order to deliver against our data strategy, working closely with our technology partners and engineering team
- Work with Be the Business partners to identify and exploit opportunities for collaboration, for example through the development of Data Trusts
- Lead the data team, including line management of team members, managing performance and identifying and supporting opportunities for development
- Work with teams across the organisation to understand and support their data requirements, identifying opportunities to make better use of data and analytics to drive performance, and champion a data driven approach
- Explore opportunities to exploit artificial intelligence and machine learning to make better use of available data to benefit Be the Business and our users, beginning with the live implementation of propensity modelling and recommendation engines
- Leverage advanced analytics to derive insights about the small business ecosystem to guide organisation strategy and champion policy change at the government level
Technology you’ll be working with
- Twilio Segment as our Customer Data Platform and Single Customer View
- Amazon Web Services: we use s3, Lambda, and SageMaker in our data tech stack
- Integration with partner data platforms RESTful APIs
What we’re looking for:
- Data storyteller, able to communicate data analysis and concepts to affect positive change across a range of technical and non-technical audiences
- Dashboard automation in a visualisation tool such as PowerBI or Tableau
- Strong SQL skills, with the ability to engineer semi-processed customer and event data from our data lake into meaningful outputs
- Data architecture and governance
- Experienced in an open-source library for predictive modelling, ideally Python
- Demonstrable experience of leading successful data projects, ideally as a line manager
- Line management experience
- Collaboration with engineering teams to deliver infrastructure and/or user-facing products through product ownership or management
- Understanding of UX/UI and collecting data without interrupting the user experience
What we’re offering:
- Competitive salary (£60,000 per annum)
- 30 days holiday plus public holidays (pro-rated for part time)
- 10% contribution into a pension scheme
- A rewarding job with the opportunity to have your voice heard and really make a difference
- We're a mission-driven, entrepreneurial team, and we thrive on leading and driving projects that will positively impact UK businesses and the economy
This is a full-time permanent role. Our office is based in Barbican London, but we are currently working remotely. When you are required to travel to the office, travel expenses are not paid by Be the Business.
Applicants must be able to and be entitled to work in the UK.
Be the Business is committed to improving the diversity of British businesses and to leading from the front in its own attitude towards diversity and inclusion. It welcomes and encourages applications from a diverse range of candidates. For our full Diversity and Inclusion statement click here.