React Native Software Engineer
Location: UK (or equivalent timezone), remote working friendly.
Contract: Permanent. Flexible (min 4 days a week)
Reports to: People Development Manager
Salary Range: £47,222-£58,567 (Intermediate), £64,245-£75,600 (Senior). Please state in your application which level you are applying for.
***Applications will be open until the post is filled***
Who are we?
At Cogo, we're on a mission to help millions of people and businesses worldwide to understand and reduce their carbon footprint and create a fairer, more sustainable world.
We build tech solutions that help businesses and consumers measure and improve their impact. We have partnered with the biggest banks in the world and created a free consumer app and real-time API to empower individuals to use their money to shape a future they value. If you want to use your skills to help address some of the major challenges facing humanity, such as climate change, come join us!
About the role
This role is in Cogo’s consumer app team. The aim of Cogo’s consumer mobile app is to help people better understand the impact of their daily decisions and take climate action. The app’s product development is in collaboration with a dedicated behavioural science research team, so being able to quickly release new features, run experiments and test hypotheses is core to everything we build.
As a React Native engineer, you will primarily be responsible for developing Cogo’s consumer facing mobile app. You will own the implementation of the UI and UX and the communication with our back-end systems from the app. You will collaborate closely with dedicated designers, back-end engineers and quality-assurance.
We’re growing fast and want to make a really big difference in the world, so we rely on our people being flexible and taking on new tasks as the team’s needs change over time. We’d like to work with adaptable and creative engineers who can quickly integrate with our team, deliver high quality code and help scale our systems. As part of a small team you’ll have a large impact on the technical direction of the product, and play a big part in supporting the future growth of CoGo.
- Working collaboratively with your peers to build and maintain features in the Cogo mobile app.
- Delivering clean and understandable code for new features, while pragmatically improving existing code as you go.
- Playing an active role in developing and maintaining our shared team standards, through code review, occasional pair programming sessions and informal support.
- Working with QA & testers to develop and communicate suitable acceptance criteria for the testing of your work.
- Releasing your code to production.
- Maintaining our CI/CD app build pipelines.
- Questioning and adjusting our delivery processes and proactively looking for ways that we can improve.
- Maintaining and contributing to internal documentation.
We are primarily looking for an intermediate level candidate, but will consider applications from senior candidates, with the following additional responsibilities (Please state in your application which level you are applying for):
- Working with the product, behavioural science and design teams to take high level features and design how they will be architected and implemented in the app.
- Helping to break down high level epics into a collection of small well-specified stories that other members of the team can work on.
- Becoming the go-to person for one or more of our core technologies, and taking initiative to learn new ones.
- Teaching your skills to your team and mentoring team members to accelerate their career-growth.
- Several years of experience building and maintaining user facing systems using high level languages.
- The ability to learn and use a wide variety of open source technologies and tools.
- A strong bias toward team building and continuous improvement.
Prior experience with these is not essential, but you should have familiarity with similar technologies:
- React & React Native
How We Work
We are fully remote, and aim to work mostly asynchronously.
We work in an agile fashion (with a lowercase a). We have regular retrospectives, and adjust and adapt our process as needed.
Currently we work in 6 week cycles, split into 3 two week sprints, with a cooldown week between cycles. Goals for a cycle are agreed in advance with the product team, then the engineering team takes responsibility for implementing these goals throughout the cycle. We collaboratively split our work down into small stories, which should take no more than a day or two each.
We have a short daily stand-up call and regularly catch up in smaller groups on specific issues or topics.
We believe that sharing about our unique Cogo culture during the hiring process helps to create a more transparent and engaging experience for our candidates. So here’s what you can expect from life at Cogo.
Dedication to sustainability and commitment to integrity:
- Proud Certified B Corporation
- Active member of the Tech Talent Charter, committed to delivering diversity in the tech sector
- Sustainable travel stipend for environmentally conscious transport
Culture founded on transparency and trust:
- Fully transparent pay scale across the entire business
- Equal pay opportunities for all team members
- Clear promotion pathways and competency framework available for each role
Commitment to our people:
- Personal and professional development stipend
- Flexible and remote working options
- Wellbeing initiatives across all teams
- Generous paid leave5 weeks annual leave (plus public holidays),
- Unlimited sick leave,
- Parental leave and return to work flexibility,
- Extra day off on your birthday,
- Paid day volunteering at a charity of your choice.
We look forward to sharing more about these benefits and our Cogo culture with you during our interviews.
Cogo has a vaccination policy for its shared office spaces. At this time, Cogo does not provide employment sponsorship and/or relocation allowances for candidates. We can only consider candidates who are currently residing in the city/country where we are hiring for the role, or with specific plans to relocate there.
If you have any questions during your application process, please reach out to our People Experience team at email@example.com.