At Founders Pledge, our mission is to empower entrepreneurs to do immense good. Since launching in 2015, our members have pledged to donate over $6 billion to charitable causes. We offer the simplest path to impact for successful entrepreneurs, providing end-to-end giving infrastructure, pioneering research, and access to a worldwide network of experts. In other words, we help tech leaders become strategic philanthropists. Our 1600+ members include the people behind industry-leading companies such as Dropbox, Skype, Spotify, Uber, and Airbnb.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We’re looking for a Software Developer, excited by both building new features and maintaining our apps, to join our Engineering Team. We have a brand-new digital product vision and are offering the opportunity to be a part of a greenfield project - building a new, member web application, which aims to maximise our members giving to high-impact causes! We have a strong engineering practices background, e.g. Continuous Delivery, Continuous Integration and Infrastructure as Code, and we apply these practices to the new products we build.
Reporting to our Tech Director, you’ll also help us to continuously make small improvements to our existing products.
We’re a small team, so you’ll have some flexibility to work based on your interests and skills, and the boundaries of your role will be fluid.
Here are some real examples of what we’ve been working on lately, to help you get a better idea of what you’ll be involved with:
- Setting up an OAuth integration for the Member App
- Creating a new multi-step form for our members to make donations
- Integrating our GraphQL endpoint to create a new object in Salesforce
- Renewing our internal server's expired SSL certificate
- Investigating why our production cron AWS ECS task is no longer running
- Spiking and experimenting on AWS AppRunner (just launched) to reduce the burden of our team
- Updating scheduling links in our transactional emails
We’re building using modern technologies such as Netlify, Nuxt.js, Tailwind, and GraphQL. We also maintain our current website and members area, which is built on Ruby on Rails and AWS. Our documentation is open for public consumption.
Location: Flexible Remote (UK/Germany)
Above all else, you’ll love building and bringing quality products to life and will be able to demonstrate that you've done so in a professional capacity (although we're really interested in your additional personal projects too). You’ll be able to autonomously create maintainable and testable code and will thrive in an environment where your manager is more interested in providing you with opportunities that align with your interests, than micro-managing your actual work (we’re the kind of place where Managers of One will thrive)!
You’re likely to have:
- The ability to make changes, or willing to learn Ruby on Rails (we are here to support you on your learning journey).
- The ability to work collaboratively. You’ll need to be able to work with the team, pair program remotely as needed, and write and document your own work.
- The ability to write tests in the levels that are appropriate according to the test pyramid. You’ll also be comfortable executing exploratory tests on your teammates' work to increase the quality of our product.
- Great communication skills (verbal and written).
WHY WORK WITH US?
You can find more about the benefits we offer here, but what makes us truly special is both our mission and our people. We’re a diverse team, from both charitable and commercial backgrounds, who believe that amazing things can happen when we tackle problems together. We offer a flat structure and an opportunity to help shape the future of philanthropy.
Even though we’re an incredibly mission-driven company and we’ve got big ambitions, we won’t be expecting you to work all-nighters! We work a 40-hour working week and actively promote work/life balance.
On top of this, we have a global flexible first approach to working.
We ask that applicants to this role are based within the UK or Europe. Although we have a small HQ in London, there’s no expectation for you to attend on a regular basis. At the same time, if you think you’d benefit from a desk in a co-working space close to your home, this can be arranged. Otherwise, you just need a great home wifi connection and we’ll provide you with everything else you need to be successful in your role.
On top of this, we’ll bring the global team together twice per year (when it’s safe to do so)!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Founders Pledge. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse workplace where everyone can do their best work.