Life at Elvie; Meaningful work, Exceptional People
We're Elvie. We create smart products, new solutions, and a fair few taboo-busting conversations while we’re at it. Founded by Tania Boler in 2013, we develop extraordinary innovations designed to improve women’s lives. It's a fascinating and challenging area that requires us to solve problems that no one else has ever tackled before.
At Elvie, you’ll be surrounded by people who want to improve everything and everyone around them. People who are passionate about our mission. People who are driven to solve problems and constantly consider the best ways to improve the health and wellbeing of women.
Find out more about life at Elvie here.
We're deeply proud of our values, which are intrinsic to the way we behave every day. We take them seriously because we want our culture to thrive:
- We make an impact: We’re mission-driven and not afraid to break boundaries. We relentlessly focus on going the extra mile to solve problems.
- We’re fearless innovators: We are passionate, curious, and data-driven. We continuously embrace change and innovation.
- We’re in it together: we fail and learn fast — always as one team — and have fun along the way. We stay authentic and embrace our differences.
Did you know?
In some regions our amazing products are considered to be medical devices. This means we maintain our Medical Device quality management system in compliance with ISO 13485:2016, to support the development of our groundbreaking products
About the role:
Okay, we’ve waffled long enough. So let’s get to the good bit: You.
As an Embedded Firmware Engineer your role sits within the Electronics & Embedded Firmware Team within the Product Department of Elvie. All our next generation flagship products come out of the product department and as part of the EE team you will be directly working on all electro-mechanical products within the Elvie portfolio. You will also be supporting the maintenance of the current on-market devices, meaning that the code you write will make a big impact in the world.
We’re looking for motivated, talented people who enjoy leaving things better than they found them. Who love having their ideas heard and acted on. You will be the kind of person who looks at the whole of a problem rather than just the portion in front of you and won’t be afraid of suggesting different ways of doing things when you can see impacts to other parts of the system.
While you may be a firmware specialist, you will ideally have a solid understanding of electronics, embedded sensors and microcontrollers. You will be experienced in breaking down large systems into discrete tasks and organising them in tools like JIRA/Asana. You will have an excellent grasp on the complexities of connected devices and working within Real Time Operating Systems. But most importantly, you will be a passionate enthusiast champion of the technology you are working with.
Location: Hybrid working; a mix of working from our Bristol office & working remotely
Employment type: Permanent (please note, you must have the right to work in the UK)
What you’ll be doing at Elvie:
- Writing solid C/C++ code
- Writing unit and integration tests
- Reviewing Pull Requests
- Documenting your designs and participating in design reviews
- Developing and maintaining toolchains and infrastructure (using Git, Docker, VirtualMachines, Github Actions or Bitbucket Pipelines)
- Working with Real Time operating Systems (Zephyr & Free RTOS)
- Working with Various BLE Chipsets (NRF52 and STM32WB primarily)
What we are looking for:
- A relevant engineering degree
- Previous experience working in regulated industries (medical/automotive/defence)
- Previous experience working within large complex codebases & designing modules within that codebase
- Experience with NRF52 chipsets
- Experience with Zephyr
We're on an exceptional journey. And we can offer you a genuinely purpose-led career with a culture built on trust, autonomy, and flexibility. In addition, we'll give you:
- Lots of flexibility: whether it’s working from home, doing the school run, or life admin, we understand that flexibility is essential, and we trust you to do the right thing for you and us
- Share options: we want everyone to have a stake in our success
- 25 days’ annual leave, plus bank holidays
- 8 extra life leave days; getting married, moving house, menopause or just things that you can’t put a label on that matter to you
- 5=10 leave: 10 days’ additional leave on your 5th and 10th years of service!
- £100 contribution to your home working set up to spend as you see fit
- An annual personal development allowance of £200 and unlimited access to our learning and development platform, Learnerbly
- Generous parental leave policies; maternity (16 weeks at full pay, then 8 weeks paid at 75% followed by 15 weeks at SMP rate.), paternity/partner (6 weeks at full pay to take at any point during the first year of your child’s life), shared & adoption
- Healthcare plans, life insurance, and an employee assistance program for you and your family
- A tax-efficient group pension scheme
- Group income protection; protect your salary if you get sick
- A free Elvie trainer for you to keep or give away when you join
- Generous employee and friends & family discounts on Elvie products
- Wellbeing support from YuLife and access to SmartHealth app with unlimited GP appointments for you and your family, plus various well-being initiatives throughout the year
- Lovely offices in great locations, with drinks and snacks provided, along with fun social events
What you can expect after you’ve applied:
A member of our recruitment team will reach out to you after they have reviewed your application. You must ensure your application is completed correctly, and we strongly encourage you to add a cover letter or note to let us know why Elvie’s the right fit for you.
We would like to get to know you through your background, attitude, experience and understand your motivation to work with us. Our interview process varies depending on the position, but it typically looks like this:
- 30-minute video call with one of our recruiters
- 30-45 minute video call with the hiring manager
- 45-60 minute video interview with the team (some positions may require you to complete a task/presentation)
- For some positions, there may be an additional interview with one of senior our leadership team
This is an exciting time to join Elvie. You’ll have a voice, make an impact, and have the opportunity to mould your role. So be ready to learn, have fun, and be inspired by our passionate, talented team — and having a sense of humour helps too. 😉
Belonging at Elvie
At Elvie, we believe having diverse teams in which everyone can be their authentic self is key to our success. We encourage people from all backgrounds to apply and we don't discriminate based on race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, marital status, disability or age.
If you need any support with your application, please get in contact with us: email@example.com or 0203 884 7223.