We are So Energy, a fast-growing 100% renewable energy supplier in the UK. We’ve recently joined forces with ESB Energy to become the UK’s next big green energy supplier. We've won a host of awards too; including The Sunday Times Fast Track 100 and Which Recommended Supplier. Our growing company of So Energists are a diverse group with a few important things in common, we're honest, ambitious, inquisitive and we're all passionate about building a more sustainable future.
We have a heterogeneous tech stack including Kotlin, Ruby on Rails & Vue. We are converting our existing platform to a microservices architecture using Kotlin, Kubernetes and Google Cloud with the objective being a robust, performant, scalable and maintainable system that goes far beyond just our website.
We need someone who has a clear understanding of software engineering practices and agile development. Someone who has experience with different technologies and is able to quickly learn and adapt to new ones. Someone who can help in technical decisions but that genuinely enjoys constructive technical debates.
The successful candidate must be comfortable working alone, or as part of a team, and will help the team in converting legacy scripts, mechanisms and services into more maintainable microservices following development best practices & developing proofs of concept for projects of an RnD nature.
Sound like you? Then please read on!
What you'll be doing
- Help develop scalable and reliable systems based on microservice architecture (using Kotlin, Kubernetes and Google Cloud)
- Use software engineering best practices including:
- Applying OOP patterns
- Applying clean architectural practices
- Write automated unit and integration testing
- Code refactoring
- Code review
- Applying good application security practices
- Plan, design and develop new features for different systems, extending or creating new microservices
- Actively proposing new ideas about how to solve specific problems or improve the systems we currently have
- Reporting into the Engineering Manager, you will take ownership of the feature to develop, proactively looking for improvements and proposing new implementation approaches
- You'll help others on their development pathway and mentor less experienced developers
- You are comfortable working alone, but are equally comfortable and enjoy working with a multidisciplinary agile team formed of Backend developers, Frontend developers, Product Manager, QA engineers.
- Professional experience writing microservices ideally in Kotlin (or Java)
- Excellent knowledge of software engineering practices in particular applied to backend, infrastructure and deployment in the cloud
- We are looking for candidates with some experience with at least 2 of the following languages: Kotlin, Java, Ruby, Python, NodeJs, C++, Go
- Experience working in high performance distributed systems with technologies such as Pubsub / RabbitMQ and gRPC
- Experience or desire to work in a fast pace environment, with a growing number of cross-functional teams
- Experience or desire to modernise and streamline legacy systems
- GIT versioning
- Automated tests
- Collaborative, you are able to mentor less experienced developers
It would be great, but not essential if you have experience with the following:
- Experience with transitioning from monolithic to microservices
- Google Cloud or AWS
- Microservices on GCP or AWS
- Experience with Agile methodology
What's in it for you?
- Competitive salary
- Life Assurance 4x base salary
- Bonus up to 10% base salary
- 25 days holiday, plus bank holidays, and an extra day holiday for your birthday
- Hybrid Remote Working
- Ongoing support and development as well as a generous learning and development budget
- Free daily breakfast
- Great reward and recognition
- Exposure to all parts of a growing business
- Pension matching as part of auto-enrolment pension scheme
So Energy cares about helping the energy industry become a much more diverse and inclusive environment and we work hard to lead by example. We are committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and building an inclusive environment for all. As an equal opportunity employer, there are also several steps we take to accommodate candidates and employees with disabilities including additional time on tests during the interview process and specialist equipment for those employees that require it.
If you are interested in finding out more, please apply and make sure to complete all the questions to the best of your ability.