About Low Carbon
Low Carbon creates renewable energy to fight climate change. We’re building a net-zero energy company that will power tomorrow and protect the planet for future generations.
Low Carbon was established in 2011 with one goal in mind: to make the biggest contribution possible in the fight against climate change. The aim is to play a key role in the historic effort to move the world to 100% renewable energy.
We are a long-standing certified B-Corporation, and recognised as gold standard for environmental impact. Low Carbon’s climate ambitions are to become one of the world’s first major net-zero energy companies and to have created 20GW of new renewable energy capacity by 2030.
Low Carbon has formed a strategic partnership with the Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company (MassMutual) to build a leading global renewable energy Independent Power Producer. Low Carbon is committed to the development, investment and operation of renewable energy at scale. Low Carbon invests into both renewable energy developers and projects across a range of renewable energy technologies including solar PV, wind, energy storage, waste-to-energy and energy efficiency.
With a significant international renewable energy pipeline in development, Low Carbon is well-positioned to capitalise on opportunities as the need for renewable energy and energy security increases.
We are extremely proud of the highly professional and talented team at Low Carbon. We have built a positive learning culture that incorporates respect, trust, collaboration, and a shared passion to combat climate change. It is an open, friendly and supportive environment, and we are proud to say we work here. As we grow, we are committed to increasing diversity in the team, and continuing to foster an inclusive environment where we can learn from each other.
Low Carbon is on a mission. Together, we will power tomorrow.
The Fund Management Team
Low Carbon is looking to appoint an Associate within the Fund Management team who will report directly to the Investment Managers, and support the wider team. LCIM, Low Carbon Investment Management, is an FCA accredited investment manager that manages investments on behalf of third parties. LCIM is currently raising its first fund – Low Carbon Renewables Fund I (“LCRF”) – with a target size €500m, first close targeted in 1H 2022 and over 1GW of seed assets secured.
Key relationships: Managing Directors, Investment Directors, Low Carbon central finance team, portfolio company executives, professional services counterparties (e.g. external lawyers, due diligence service providers)
Support the execution of new investment transactions
- Develop an understanding of the investment criteria of LCIM fund mandates
- Lead country and renewable technology sector research activities and feed this into MD, ID and IM investment sourcing activities
- Monitor and report the progress of the investment pipeline
- Support IMs, IDs and MDs in the analysis and evaluation of new investment opportunities, including financial analysis, risk and counterparty analysis, relevant industry research:
- Build and modify financial models for investment opportunities, including complex operational, investment structuring and debt financing structures
- Prepare investment committee papers supporting new investments, new projects or other material investment decisions
- Project manage due diligence workstreams, assist IMs and IDs to critically review the work of third-party advisors
- Contribute to the review of transaction documentation and transaction funding
- Contribute to the sourcing of new investment opportunities
Monitor the performance of portfolio investments
- Lead the preparation of internal and investor reporting and valuation for portfolio investments, including ownership of investment model
- Collect and review financial and other information from portfolio companies in order to monitor progress
- Liaise with portfolio companies on ongoing corporate actions, collection of fees and dividends, redemptions etc.
- Monitor progress against strategy and operational plans
- Support identification of underperformance and areas for improvement within these investments
- Support reporting of investment performance to the Investment Committee
Support the success of portfolio investments
- Form informed views about the corporate strategy of investments
- Support IM, ID and MDs in the governance of portfolio investments and influence of their business strategy
- Support IM, ID and MDs in structuring and project management of exits
Support the build-up and growth of fund activities
- Support LCIM fund raising activities, including production of marketing materials and financial analysis
- Fund financial modelling
- Work with professional advisors, such as legal and tax, in the establishment of new fund structures and the introduction of new investors into existing funds
Short Term: 1 month
- Quickly develop an understanding of the LCIM strategy and its investment criteria, including performance metrics, sectoral and geographic focus
- Build strong internal relationships and become a key part of the team
- Begin to assist IMs, IDs and MDs in analysing investment opportunities and supporting fund raising activities
Medium Term: 2 – 12 months
- Support IMs, IDs and MDs in analysing and presenting investment opportunities to Investment Committee
- Support fund raising activities
- Support IMs, IDs and MDs in managing and adding value to portfolio companies, reporting to fund investors
Long Term: 12 months +
- Lead selected workstreams on investment opportunities
- Directly participate in managing and adding value to portfolio companies
Our ideal candidate will have the following characteristics:
- A strong analytical tool kit (qualitative and quantitative) with strong conceptual thinking and problem-solving skills
- Financial Modelling & managing DD processes
- Be driven, dynamic, forward thinking, innovative and agile; and be comfortable working in a fast paced, adaptable environment
- Based in the UK or EU, happy and willing to travel to the LCIM target geographies and comfortable operating within those cultures
- A personal interest and understanding of renewables and climate change coupled with a deep appreciation for investing
Professional Skills & Experience Required
- Advanced knowledge of MS Excel, Word and PowerPoint. Experience in building cashflow models including complex project financing and investment structures and advanced valuation concepts
- Experience in corporate finance advisory, investment management, investment banking or strategy consultancy (Preferably investment bank or boutique investment banks)
- Experience in buyside M&A / energy / infrastructure would be highly regarded
- 26 days holiday plus your birthday off
- Holiday buying scheme (up to 5 days)
- Discretionary Bonus
- Annual Bupa Health Check
- Private Healthcare for you and your family (medical history disregarded)
- Contributory Pension
- EV Car scheme
- Cycle scheme
- Sodexo for commercial discounts and perks