We founded what3words ten years ago with the mission to make it simple for people to talk about everywhere. From providing better navigation solutions for cars, to improving the logistics sector and leading incredible humanitarian projects, we are here to make a tangible difference.
Brilliant people make what3words. We’re a team of creators, technologists, world-travellers, linguists and more, determined to make a difference.
We are looking for an ambitious Technical Support Engineer - ready to kickstart their career as a key part of our operations and technical support team.
We’re looking for a candidate with good attention to detail as well as the ability to multi-task, as conflicting priorities arise.
You’ll be reporting to the I.T Manager in London, UK, providing a range of technical support functions for the team locally and internationally. If you enjoy (and are good at) setting up computers and phones, and dealing with connectivity, software and hardware problems for friends and family then this could be the ideal role for you.
We always give more responsibilities to talented individuals as soon as we can: we’d expect the right person to see this as an opportunity to learn quickly and gain wide-ranging experience with a view to rapid professional development.
- Providing technical support for the team of 20 in UB and internationally, including acquiring, setting up and configuring hardware and software.
- We use a variety of different OS e.g. Windows 10, macOS and Linux. You must be able to troubleshoot and be comfortable using all of these platforms.
- Ensuring the office technical infrastructure (printers, routers, meeting room a/v etc.) is functioning well, and preventing/anticipating/fixing any problems.
- Using the company asset management software to log all devices within the company to ensure we have a clear idea whether equipment is available, or if we need to go and purchase more to keep up with the demand.
- Administering the internal network, as the company grows we will need to introduce VLANs and add more security to it.
- Identify which SaaS needs to be introduced/removed depending on the company needs.
- Administering and configuring platforms such as Google Apps, Salesforce, Microsoft Office, Dropbox, Slack etc.
- Responding to the more technical customer support enquiries by email and identifying (and escalating as necessary) any feedback that indicates bigger opportunities or problems.
- Providing support (e.g. for testing/documentation/systems administration) as required for the engineering and product teams..
- A keen interest in modern technology.
- Have commercial experience working in an office environment already.
- Willing to learn anything and excel in areas you are not so comfortable in.
- Some experience, personal and/or professional, of “sorting stuff out” (computers, phones, software).
- Go above and beyond to make sure everyone is able to work to the best of their ability without having “Technical Difficulties” slow them down.
- A sharp mind with the academic or work history to prove it.
- Able to build/replace parts in desktops used in the company.
- Exceptional written and verbal communications with the ability of capturing complex concepts and conveying them in simple, meaningful language.
- Fluent in English
- Impeccable attention to detail.
- A “can-do” attitude; able to work at pace and turn your hand to new things.
Extra Credit if you:
- Have experience configuring networks
- Experience using Linux
- An interest in or some commercial experience in InfoSec or IT Security
- Experience using SaaS onboarding, MDM & automation
- Have an existing interest in GIS/Mapping
- Have completed certifications for I.T related courses
Equality, diversity and inclusion at what3words
Our mission is to help everyone talk about everywhere, and we believe diverse perspectives make for a better company and better products too. We strongly encourage applications from underrepresented groups and are committed to equality and inclusivity in our hiring processes and company culture.
We offer the following benefits to all permanent employees of what3words:
- Salary $750 / month dependant on experience and any specialist skills
- 6 week remote working (work from anywhere) policy
- 25 days holiday: plus the option to buy more!
- Share options
- Private health insurance
- Annual health assessment
- Wellbeing Days
- Generous parental leave policies
- Family friendly policies
- Employee Assistance Programme (EAP)
- Birthday perks
- Lunch & learn sessions
- Office perks; snacks, regular team lunches and socials
- Sports and hobbies clubs