Legatics is seeking a commercially-minded lawyer, on a part-time basis (3 days per week), to build out Legatics’ internal legal capabilities. The role will report directly to the senior executives and involve working with the various business heads to deliver thoughtful and practical legal advice.
The primary focus will be supporting our commercial teams to negotiate and finalise customer contracts but will also involve assisting with corporate legal matters, commercial contracts and legal queries. The role would also include taking responsibility for data protection within a complex and international privacy environment, requiring close collaboration with our Product team. You will be the first Legatics legal hire and will have a large degree of freedom to shape the company’s approach to legal matters.
Legatics is one of the world’s leading LegalTech scale-ups. We put users at the heart of our design to provide legal transaction experiences that everybody loves and are on a mission to transform the $600bn market for legal services worldwide. We have recently raised a £3m Series A and we are looking to supercharge our growth and mission.
Legatics is an end-to-end transaction management platform focused on efficiency and client experience, transforming traditional paper and email based legal processes into simple and highly automated software that frees lawyers from administrative tasks and improves profitability.
Our customers include some of the world’s top law firms, such as Allen & Overy, Hogan Lovells, Herbert Smith Freehills, Shearman & Sterling and King & Wood Mallesons. Legatics has been used globally on live transactions originating in more than 20 countries.
We are regularly featured in prominent industry publications including Forbes, the Financial Times, The Lawyer, Legal Business, LegalWeek, Legal IT Insider and Artificial Lawyer.
We are looking for a commercially astute lawyer with at least three years PQE who is excited about taking a key role in the practical development of Legatics’s legal capability. Experience in drafting and negotiating technology contracts would be beneficial as would an understanding of data protection and privacy issues. We understand the breadth of some elements of the role and the need you may have to research some legal areas before advising.
The role is on a part-time basis (3 days a week) and may be based primarily remotely (or office-based if you prefer), with occasional attendance in a central London location to meet and work with other members of the Legatics team.
Your primary focus will be working closely with the commercial teams to draft, review and negotiate customer SaaS agreements. You will also support other business heads on an ad hoc basis to review, draft and negotiate a variety of inbound and outbound commercial contracts (including NDAs, marketing and partnership agreements) and provide thoughtful and practical business and legal advice to support internal stakeholders.
What you would be doing
- Responsibility for all legal-related matters at Legatics;
- Managing and coordinating the legal negotiation and execution of Legatics customer SaaS agreements;
- Managing and keeping up to date our customer contracts summary matrix and customer contracts playbook;
- General contract reviews across all departments (Finance, Operations, Commercial, Marketing, HR etc);
- Taking on the role of Data Protection Officer;
- Advising on privacy and data protection matters, including policies and the functioning of our software product;
- Occasional advice on employment matters and employee incentive schemes;
- Managing and coordinating disputes (to the extent they arise) with customers and suppliers;
- Supporting the Board with corporate governance and compliance;
- Broad support to all departments and external legal advisors.
What we need from you
- 3+ years PQE;
- Currently admitted to practice in the UK;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Attention to detail in delivery and high quality of work;
- Very good standard of legal drafting (emails, agreements, internal memos);
- Substantial experience in commercial contracts review and legal research;
- An enthusiastic personality who is pragmatic and commercial and presents solutions rather than problems;
- Strong ability to work as part of a team and to communicate legal concepts to non-legal management and staff;
- Willingness to be a "generalist" and to expand legal skills to the wider areas of knowledge applicable to Legatics’ business (data security, disputes, employment, compliance, IP and corporate governance);
- A right to work in the UK (unfortunately, we are not in a position to support visa sponsorship at this stage);
- An ability to work from a central London office on occasion.
Bonus points for the following (but don’t worry, these are not essential)
- Experience working in a growing start-up or scale-up SaaS business, working on commercial transactions;
- Knowledge of data protection matters and experience of advising on data protection in a complex data setting;
- Experience in working with other jurisdictions (e.g. the US).
- Prior experience with employment law (employment contracts, consulting agreements, exit processes etc) and data privacy and data protection law.
What we offer you
- An opportunity to help grow one of the world’s leading LegalTech scale-ups;
- A warm, genuinely collaborative culture and an awesome team;
- A chance to meaningfully and lastingly change how the legal industry operates
- Regular virtual/in-person socials;
- 25 days holiday per year (on a pro-rata basis);
- £100 personal learning & development budget;
- Company laptop and WFH set up;
- Pension with NEST;
- Competitive remuneration package, based on experience.
Who would you be working with?
You would be working with a welcoming, inclusive and committed team.
Team culture is really important to us. We are looking for someone who is excited to join us as a key employee at this important stage in our growth and who will bring new and exciting perspectives to Legatics. We are a friendly and passionate bunch with a wide range of interests. We love to socialise together too, holding regular team events.
Power in diversity
We put users at the heart of our design to provide legal transaction experiences that everyone loves. In order to make that a reality, we seek to foster a diverse and inclusive working environment that can empower our people to be creative, effective and innovative, to build a brand we are proud of.