Legatics is one of the world’s leading LegalTech scale-ups. Our legal transaction management platform enables law firms and their clients to collaborate on and close deals in an interactive online environment, providing clarity, reducing risk and saving time.
Our customers include some of the world’s top law firms, such as Allen & Overy, Hogan Lovells, Herbert Smith Freehills, Shearman & Sterling and King & Wood Mallesons. Legatics has been used globally on live transactions originating in more than 40 countries.
We are on a mission to transform the $600bn market for legal services worldwide and to work with our customers to bring the way they manage deals into the 21st century. We recently closed our Series A fundraise and we now need creative and empowered individuals to help us execute on our mission.
Building intuitive and accessible software for legal professionals doing this type of work is not easy - nor is transforming their working methods! We care deeply about agile development, UX design and really being in touch with the needs and constraints of our users. Information security is obviously critical, and we have increasing amounts of structured and unstructured data to process, store and present. We're carefully adding AI-based services to further optimise our users' work and we're succeeding - we're signing up more firms every week.
This is a great time to join us!
Legatics is based in London and has a directly employed engineering team in Ukraine. Our CTO, specialist Machine Learning engineer and our Product team are based in the UK. As our business grows we are building out an engineering team in the UK, to work alongside the Ukraine team. This role will be the first hire for the UK team which we expect to be 3 people strong, initially. The team will have a mix of skills including frontend, backend and DevOps & security tooling.
The role will be great for an experienced software engineer with some tech leadership experience who wants to develop their skills further. The team will grow as Legatics does, and we’d like you to grow with it - we’ll support you in expanding your tech and leadership skills as our business, your team and our systems grow.
We build web-facing applications, running on Linux and deployed in the cloud and working in Agile teams. Shortly we plan to move to feature teams, focussed on particular product and system areas. Working with a Product Manager you’ll lead the work of a feature team to develop, extend and maintain Legatics’ systems.
Our business teams are currently based in London and our Engineering team works fully remotely at present. This is likely to be the case indefinitely, with periodic meetups. Desk space in London can be provided if required though.
What you will be doing
- Work with the CTO and others to set up and lead Legatics’ UK engineering team
- Lead the development activities of a full stack feature team
- Work with Product Management on product and technology roadmaps and to shape feature specs and delivery plans
- Collaborate with our Ukraine based engineers and testers to develop, extend and maintain our products & systems
Who would you be working with?
Steve Wheeler, CTO - who you will be reporting into, alongside a welcoming, inclusive and committed team.
Team culture is really important to us. We are looking for someone who is excited to join us as a key employee at this important stage in our growth and who will bring new and exciting perspectives to Legatics. We are a friendly and passionate bunch with a wide range of interests. We love to socialise together too, holding regular team events.
What we need from you
- 3+ years of commercial software development experience
- Experience with some or all of the technologies mentioned in this document, ideally with a specialism in frontend, backend, or DevOps tooling & infrastructure
- Some team leadership and management experience
- Ability and willingness to work in a rapidly growing business where ambiguity is not unusual
- A right to work in the UK (unfortunately, we are not in a position to support visa sponsorship at this stage)
What we offer you:
- Salary of £85,000-£100,000
- 25 days holiday per year (plus public holidays);
- Pension with NEST;
- Mental Healthcare & Therapy (for you & your family);
- Personal Learning & Development budget;
- WFH allowance;
- Cycle to work scheme
- Lots of opportunities for accelerated professional development and career progression;
- Work alongside a supportive and talented team with the opportunity to grow one of the world’s leading LegalTech scale-ups;
- A warm, genuinely collaborative culture and an awesome team; and
- Regular socials.
We follow a microservices approach written in Node.js on AWS, managed using Terraform, Kustomize and Kubernetes. GraphQL and Apollo are used between front- and backend. Our frontend is an SPA built with React and Redux, with some Ramda. We have a dedicated test / QA team, doing a combination of manual and automated testing.
We work according to DevOps principles and we’re working towards full CI/CD, aiming for frequent small releases supported by feature flags, distributed config management, monitoring & tracing, etc.
Power in diversity
We put users at the heart of our design to provide legal transaction experiences that everyone loves. In order to make that a reality, we seek to foster a diverse and inclusive working environment that can empower our people to be creative, effective and innovative, to build a brand we are proud of.
We don’t discriminate against gender, race, religion or belief, disability, age, marital status or sexual orientation. Whatever your background may be, we welcome anyone with talent, drive and emotional intelligence. We're committed to building a diverse team and are constantly looking for ways to improve our processes to help us do that.