Job Description: Machine Learning Engineer
Hours: Full-time; flexible working will be considered
Reports to: CEO
Closing date: 26th August 2022
We are looking for a Machine Learning Engineer to join our fast-growing team. You will lead on the AI and machine learning R&D of our pioneering app and play a key role in driving forward the next generations of LatchAid products to be smart, scalable, and innovative, serving millions of users around the world and changing the landscape of the public health.
There is possibility to progress to a Head of Artificial Intelligence role in the future based on the performance and progression in the current role.
As our Machine Learning Engineer, you will:
- Applying mathematical techniques, machine learning and artificial intelligence techniques to develop proprietary technology for LatchAid’s AI-powered virtual companion which supports a 1000-days pregnancy & early parenthood journey.
- Train and evolve our bespoke neural networks using IBM Watson engine and supervised learning techniques.
- Conduct R&D in sentiment AI algorithms to discern the emotional scores through analysing the users’ conversation and deploy sentiment AI into the production app.
- Conduct R&D in personalised companion to identify a user’s needs and provide tailored support using deep learning, supervised learning, and unsupervised clustering.
- Participate in full lifecycles of LatchAid new product and feature development from idealisation, requirement specification, to proof of concept, to full build and test, launching in market, and operating at scale.
- Work across our entire stack: Backend, Front-end (Web) and Mobile platforms to develop end-to-end solutions.
- Implement new features, maintaining existing software, and write clean, scalable, and robust codes.
- Manage source code control, software integration, and software releases.
- Produce clear and accurate technical documentation
- Work closely with the product manager in an Agile development environment including sprint planning, user story prioritisation, task estimation, sprint implementation, and sprint review.
- Manage and work closely with external software subcontractors including reviewing software/architecture design, conducting code review, and managing code merging and software integrations.
- Report directly to the CEO and work closely with internal and external cross-functional teams including UI/UX designers, product / QA manager, internal / external software developers, commercial teams, healthcare professionals, and end users.
- Work on CI environments, unit testing, and automatic testing.
Who we are looking for:
- Bachelor/Master’s degree in machine learning, AI, Computer Science, Maths, Engineering or related fields.
- Strong experience in programming AI (bonus if it’s been IBM Watson), neural networks, deep learning, supervised learning, unsupervised clustering.
- Proven knowledge and experience in sentiment AI algorithms and natural language processing engines (e.g. tone Analyzer API, Perspective API).
- Strong experience in applied mathematics, algorithm design and performance optimisation.
- Proven industry experience in Machine Learning and deploying ML models into commercial products.
- 3+ years of commercial software development and Agile development experience.
- Excellent coding and software development skills including Python and Tensorflow/Keras or PyTorch.
- Backend: Node.JS (ideally Typescript), MongoDB, SQL (ideally Postgres), RESTful API, Docker, Terragrunt (or at least Terraform)
- High level of proficiency in data structure, algorithms, software design patterns/principles, and Object-Oriented Design.
- Proven experience in GIT, Bitbucket and software source code control, merging, and integration.
- Proven experience in CI environments, unit testing, automatic testing, and in Test-Driven Development.
- Proven ability to learn, investigate, problem-solve, innovate, experiment and prototype.
- Great communication, collaboration skills and strategic thinking.
- Driven by great purposes and obsessed with user experience to improve health & well-being of millions.
- Proven ability and experience to work in start-up, small/dynamic teams, and fast-pacing environment with little direction and quick decision making.
- Team leading experience.
- Experience in the Health Tech or Digital Health sector.
- Passion and motivation in using technology and innovation to improve health and wellbeing of millions around the world.
What we offer:
- Flexible working; at LatchAid we take pride of supporting work-life balance and family commitments, most of our team are working parents.
- Remote working
- Competitive salary
- Share options (taking ownership of a rapidly growing tech start-up)
- 25 days annual leave
- Up to 5% pension scheme
- New company laptop and phone
- Learning & development funding and support
- Enhanced parental leave
- Free access to the LatchAid apps and expert webinars (for yourself and your friends, families)
Why join LatchAid?
LatchAid is an award-winning startup using pioneering 3D interactive technology & Artificial Intelligence to support parents through their pregnancy, breastfeeding, and early parenthood journeys 24/7. The UK has the worst breastfeeding rate globally, sadly 90% of women give up breastfeeding before they want to. We believe that every parent deserves the support and empowerment to give their child the best start in life.
We have created a revolutionary app to help parents achieve their infant-feeding goals with:
- Cutting-edge 3D interactive animations to help parents learn breastfeeding skills intuitively from 3D avatars.
- Empathic Artificial Intelligence to provide users with personalised support, expertise, and companionship 24/7.
- Specialist 1-1 support to help parents feel reassured and more confident.
- Virtual peer support groups to connect mothers to a close-knit support network.
- Expert webinars & drop-in sessions to help users interact with experts with a range of specialities
We are a tight knit and hard-working team made up of talented and passionate individuals from around the world. We have experience in Oscar / BAFTA award-winning visual effects, infant-feeding, baby development, and maternal health support from leading specialists, Artificial Intelligence and software R&D from experts in multiple countries. We all work remotely but connect almost daily. We are passionate and take pride in what we are achieving and the positive impacts we are making.
We are at a very exciting time! We have just launched our iOS app with active users from 94 countries across 6 continents and launched our social prescribing pilot whereby mothers and mothers-to-be are prescribed the app across the UK to supplement pregnancy and infant feeding support with 12 NHS Trusts and the HCRG Care Group. We have been featured in 60+ press articles and interviews including BBC News and Sky News.
With grant funding from Innovate UK, the NHS and Seed investment, we are set for the accelerated growth in product, commercial, and team development and passionate in achieving greater impacts in public health nationally and internationally.
Every day is different, and the team is made up of incredibly passionate and creative people who can keep up with our exciting developments. We know that none of this would be possible without our team, and we work to build a culture that is open, flexible and nurturing. We offer a work environment that truly values diversity, where people can develop their interests, where no input is too inexperienced and where workers can work to the schedules that suit their lives and passions best. This is an incredible opportunity to join a mission-driven, dynamic, fast-growing team of talented and passionate individuals from around the world.
How to apply
Please submit the following by 26th August 2022 to email@example.com
- Cover letter (no more than 2 pages)
- Option to send your GitHub, GitLab, or Bitbucket repositories of previous coding project(s)
Please send any questions related to this role to firstname.lastname@example.org with the job title in the subject field.